What is the duration and pattern of CAT exam 2016?
For CAT 2016, the duration has been increased by ten minutes, i.e., from 170 mins to 180 mins. Previously, it consisted of 2 sections – Quantitative Aptitude and Verbal and Reading Comprehension From this year CAT 2016 is going to be held in a relatively new form.
Note: The new pattern for CAT 2016 hasn’t been disclosed by IIM Bangalore but according to our experts, this year too CAT might follow the same pattern. We have to wait till 18th October to get the hang of the pattern, until then, it is advisable to the aspirants not to leave any topic unprepared.
The questions will be of multiple choice and some questions will also be direct answer based – where the candidate have to type the answer. Approximately ten percent of each section will contain direct answer based question. One must note that one mark will be deducted if there is an incorrect response in MCQs. Direct answer based questions do not carry negative marking. The number of questions have also been changed and they have been divided in three section, the details of which are as follows:
|Section||Number of Questions|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||32|
CAT 2016 Results are out! IIM’s officially released the CAT 2016 results on January 9th, 2017
The candidate cannot switch between sections while answering.
What is the syllabus?
CAT 2016 syllabus is not predefined, however, in general, CAT test includes questions on Quantitative Ability (Mathematics), Verbal Ability (English), Data Interpretation (DI), and Logical Reasoning (LR) skills.
- Verbal Ability :
- Questions Types you can expect: Vocabulary Based (Synonyms Antonyms); English Usage or Grammar; Sentence Correction; Fill in the blanks; Jumbled Paragraph; Cloze Passage; Analogies or Reverse Analogies; Meaning-Usage Match; Verbal Reasoning; Summary Questions; Reading Comprehension; Facts-Inferences-Judgements.
- Vocabulary: Vocabulary questions test the candidate’s comprehension in English like primary meanings of words, idioms and phrases, secondary shades of meaning, usage, associated words, antonyms, etc.
- Grammar: Grammar-based questions test the candidate’s capability to mark and correct grammatical errors. CAT generally tests knowledge of high school level grammar and includes areas like use of articles, prepositions use of modifiers, subject-verb agreement, parallel construction, phrasal verbs, redundancy etc.
- Verbal Reasoning: Verbal reasoning questions are designed to test the candidate’s potential to identify relationships or patterns within sentences or groups of words.
- Quantitative Ability Syllabus:
Question types you can expect:
Number Systems; LCM and HCF; Profit, Loss and Discount; Percentages;Speed, Time and Distance; Time and Work; Simple and Compound Interest ; Ratio and Proportion; Averages; Quadratic Equations; Linear Equations; Complex Numbers; Logarithm; Binomial Theorem; Sequences and Series; Surds and Indices; Inequalities; Probability; Permutation and Combination; Set Theory; Functions; Geometry; Mixtures and Alligations; Trigonometry; Coordinate Geometry; and Mensuration.
- Data Interpretation Syllabus
Data is given in form of tables, graphs, and charts. In this section it is tested that how a candidate interprets the given data and answers the questions based on it.
Question types you can expect: Caselets; Tables; Bar Graphs; Column Graphs; Line Charts; Venn Diagrams; Pie Chart; Combination of two or more types linked to each other.
- Logical Reasoning Syllabus
Question types you can expect: Number and Letter Series; Calendars; Cubes; Clocks; Venn Diagrams; Binary Logic; Seating Arrangement; Syllogism; Logical Matching; Logical Sequence; Logical Connectives; Blood Relations
Are you planning to prepare for CAT Exam this year? Keep yourself updated on the syllabus and pattern of CAT exam 2016 through this page. Access free videos by Byju’s and study materials for CAT preparation.
All the best for CAT!
Important Notification: CAT 2016 Registration Date has been extended till 27th September. Aspirants should make use of this time and register for the exam asap.