INSTITUTE OF BANKING PERSONNEL (IBPS), conducts various exams for PO, Clerk, specialist officer and RRBs post every year.
One of the top most exams in the banking industry in India is IBPS, so definitely the exam level will also be different from the other or normal banking exams, so it is necessary to prepare for IBPS.Here is IBPS exam guide on how to deal with the questions, tips, tricks and study materials.
IBPS exam guide
Before dealing with the guides one should know about the different types of exams conducted by IBPS and their pattern individually.
IBPS exams are conducted in two level- Common written exam and interview, but from this year it will be into 3 levels especially for the CLERK and PO.
IBPS PO exam guide
IBPS PO exam conducts in three phases.The first phase consists of a Preliminary exam which consists of 100 questions(objective type) of total 100 marks which have a time duration of 1 hour and covers 3 subjects those candidates who will clear the preliminary exam they are eligible for Mains exam.
The Second phase consists of the Main exam. This test consists of 5 subjects namely Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability, General Awareness and Computer Knowledge it contains 200 questions consists of 200 marks and has a duration of 2 hours to 2.30 hour. Like from Logical reasoning there is 5-10 (expected number of questions), seating arrangement there are 10 ( expected number of questions), puzzle there are 5-7(expected number of questions).
Mainly, here are some major IBPS exam topics which all have equal importance in IBPS exams.
Exam guide for IBPS Reasoning:
The reasoning is the most important topic for any bank exam preparation. Reasoning consists of general questions and it’s a scoring part in which one can score easily, which will help a candidate to push overall marks. It consumes less time and in this paragraph puzzles are there in which one paragraph consist of 5 questions. Here are the topics in reasoning which candidate have to focus.
Verbal Reasoning Test
- Number series
- Coding Decoding
- Input Output
- Blood Relations
- Direction Sense Test
- Logical Venn Diagrams
- Alphabet Test
- Sitting Arrangements
- Mathematical Operations
- Arithmetical Reasoning
- Inserting the Missing Character
- Number, Ranking and Time Sequence Test
- Logical Sequence of Words
- Alphanumeric Sequence Test
- Puzzle Test
Non-Verbal Reasoning Test
- Mirror Image
- Water Image
- Paper Folding
- Paper Cutting
- Counting the Number of Figures
- Dice Problems
- Five Figures Series
- Missing Figure Series
Analytical Reasoning Test
- Statement and Conclusions
- Statement & Arguments
- Statement & Assumptions
- Cause and Effect
- Courses of Action
Preparation Tips for IBPS Bank Exam
- Proper study material: Firstly, one should know about the syllabus and collect the reasoning test preparation material and important notes, books, etc.
- Time management: The most important part of the bank exams is time management here are some tips which will help to manage time.
- A candidate has to decide which part of the exam should be attempt first.
- A candidate should leave the question if he/she doesn’t know to answer and attempt the one which is known. Candidate should not spend much time on any particular problem.
- General Awareness, English and the Computer part should attempt by the candidate first as they require less time as compared to other parts of the examination.
- The average time of 1 min should be obtained for each question otherwise, it will be difficult for the candidate to attend all of the questions.
- For practice and to know how much time is required for a candidate to complete the exam they must take test series in order to know about the time required by the individual, and excel themselves accordingly.
- Reasoning and Quantitative Aptitude are the sections which take the highest time, so never divide equal time to each section.
- Learn Formulas and Tables: The reasoning part of the test is completely based on the formulas and methods. So one should know about the formulas and the tricks to solve the reasoning problems, it will be easier for the candidate to solve them in less time and for that one should know all the formulas.
Tricks to solve Reasoning:
A candidate should know the right formula to address a problem of reasoning so one can solve it easily, here are some reasoning tricks below:
- In reasoning always read the question carefully. Most of the answers are hidden in the question itself.
- Candidate should divide the question time according to the type:
Firstly, attempt the questions which are easy and less time to consume such as Classification/Odd pair, Series completion/ Analogy, Sense test, Alphabet test/ Dictionary etc.
Then come to medium difficulty level questions such as Syllogism, Blood relation, Coding-Decoding, Data Sufficiency, Inequalities.
And after all come to complex questions which are time consuming like a Complex puzzle, Seating Arrangement, Floor puzzle etc.
- Knowledge of direction is important for solving the path type questions.
- Logical reasoning contains Data and Diagrams concentrate on those as they are the main part of that question in which they are present.
- Candidate should be familiar with the sequence of the alphabet from A to Z. This will help them in solving Coding-Decoding problems.
English Topics to Focus:
Fill in the blanks, Comprehension Passage, idioms, Spotting error, Phrases, Prepositions etc.
Quantitative Aptitude Topics to Focus:
Quantitative aptitude is the most time taking part of the paper. Data interpretation is the most important part of this and paper consist almost 15 items from this part. So a candidate must have good knowledge about pie-chart, Tabulation etc.
Computer Topics to Focus:
Computer knowledge is an additional subject for IBPS exam. It also contains equal marks like the other sections. Examiner wants to tests candidates’ skill in computer. It is the scoring part and also doesn’t require much time.
- Basics of computers.
- Operating system functions.
- Basic Internet knowledge and protocols.
- Input & Output devices.
- MS Excel.
- MS power point.
- Computer Shortcuts.
IBPS EXAM GUIDE IN ENGLISH
Here are some books for the IBPS preparation in English:
RBI Grade OBJECTIVE GENERAL ENGLISH 1 Edition by RS Aggarwal
Comprehensive Guide to IBPS – CWE Bank PO (English) 3rd Edition
Quick Learning Objective General English (English) 1st Edition Author – R. S. Aggarwal
Comprehensive English Grammar & Composition (English) – Arihant Publication
Bank PO English Language Chapterwise Solved Papers 1999 – 2015 (4565+ Objective Questions Of Nationalised & Gramin Bank, IBPS PO/MT/SO, RRBs Officer, SBI & Insurance AAO