Human reproduction is the process by which a male and a female produce their off-springs and the set of organs required for this process are called as the human reproductive system. Every other organ in the human body is identical in shape and function both in males and females except the organs of the reproductive system. Males and females have a different set of reproductive organs in their respective systems.
Male Reproductive System
A set of organs located around the pelvic region in the lower abdomen. The primary function of the male reproductive system is to provide sperm for fertilization. The reproductive system of the male is primarily composed of:
- Penis- It is the organ used by males for the purpose of sexual intercourse. It is a cylindrical organ with a small opening at the top. It is extremely sensitive and becomes erect when a person is sexually aroused, which allows it to perform sexual intercourse. Semen, containing sperm, is ejaculated from the opening at the top when the person reaches sexual climax.
- Scrotum- It is a sac-like organ that hangs below the penis and behind it. It is the houses of the testicles, or testes, and maintains a temperature that is required for the production of sperm by it.
- Testicles- Also called testes, this oval shaped pair of organs is responsible for the production of testosterone, the primary sex hormones in males and sperm.
- Urethra- It is the tube that carries sperm through the penis to the outside of the body.
- Vas Deferens- It is a tube that carries mature sperm from the testes to the urethra.
Female Reproductive System
The female reproductive system is located inside the body and consists of the following major organs:
- Ovaries- They are a pair of organs that contain the ova, or egg, which are the sex gametes in a female.
- Uterus- It is a muscular bag-like organ with a strong muscular lining which holds the baby after fertilization.
- Cervix- It is a ring-shaped organ that connects the uterus and the vagina.
- Vagina- It is the organ of sexual intercourse in females. It is a muscular tube that opens outside the body, inside which the penis enters during intercourse. The opening of the vagina is called the vulva, which also includes the clitoris, labia, and urethra.
To know more about the human reproductive system and its organs, visit BYJU’S.