The crystal making would be an exciting project for the children as they could keep a collection of them for viewing.
- Toothpicks (2 Nos)
- Scissors (1)
- Jar (1)
- Spoon (used to stir)
- Salt (half a cup)
How to Make
- Pour water into the jar until it is full.
- Add salt(half a cup) to the jar containing water.
- Stir the saline solution with the spoon.
- Using the scissors, cut the string and tie it to the two toothpicks at both ends.
- Keep the string at the jar top with the toothpick ends at the edges.
What happens next
Let the solution to settle for a while so that salt crystals form along the strings . These crystals are an ideal of how cubic crystals would look like and students could do more research on them using microscopes.
When we have a closer look at them, we could spot the differences between them like are there microbes present in them; what shape they have; what color it has and are they formed properly.
The crystals formed could be put in various lots like small crystals and large single crystals. There would be a large variation in their size as some would be thin like wafer or even microscopic level whereas some would be tall enough with height of meters.
Try making a collection of crystals of different shapes, sizes and label them accordingly and keep them in a box for viewing your work afterward.