We all need to encourage alternative forms of transportation, as we find lack of supply of petroleum products and also increase in environmental pollution. A car that runs on solar energy – Solar Car – are emerging these days addressing these issues. It uses solar cell panels to power up the engine instead of oil petroleum products as a fuel. By solar car project you will experience the concept of solar energy and how it generates electric energy to start the engine.
- Solar cell
- DC motor
- Motor mount
- Four wheels
- Dowel for axles
- Traction bands
- Eyelets or washers
- Wood sheet
- Procedure sheet
- Soldering iron
- Craft knife
- Cut a 2-inch wide strip of wood.
- Mark axles by drawing two lines and mark two points around 6mm away from each side.
- Each screw will hold the axles, so insert one eye screw in each of the points.
- Insert axle and ensure the alignment is straight and can spin freely. Later use a piece of straw and place them as a spacer on both sides.
- After making space for the wheels, now insert wheels on all four sides. If your rear wheels are plain, you need to insert a gear or a pulley next to rear wheel.
- Now, insert a small pulley or a gear onto the shaft of the DC motor. Now place the motor on mount and strap it securely.
- Place it on the motor mount on the car, make sure the gears one on the wheel and another on the shaft are engaged.
- Place the solar panel on the car and connect all the required wires to the motor. Note that the solar cell panel is placed slanted.
- Finally, take your solar car in a sunny location and test it!
This experiment you will learn how to work with solar cell panel and a DC motor. Take your solar car in a sunny location to test. Place the car on a flat smooth surface and make sure the solar panel is faced to the sun. You can also test the solar car indoor using a strong light replacing the sunlight. Well, you can customize the solar car by designing the wooden sheet, adding decoration and more.