- Two empty bottles
- Tornado tube plastic connector
- Pieces of paper (optional)
- Food colouring (optional)
- Fill about ⅔ of water into one of the bottle
- Add food coloring or a bit of paper pieces (optional)
- Now, connect both bottles using the connector.
- Place both connected bottles on a sturdy surface. The empty bottle should be on the bottom.
- The water will drip down to the lower bottle and in few seconds the flow stops completely.
- To make the water flow continuously to the empty bottle, move the bottles in a circular motion for few minutes.
- After placing it on a study surface, you can observe the shape of tornado appearing on the top bottle in order to flow the water down.
There won’t be any tension created when the water is still in the bottle. When the water moves into the bottom bottle, the air pressure forces the air bubbles to move on top. When there is significantly low in water level and pressure, it stop the flow of the water completely.
In the second part of the experiment, the water started flowing in a circular motion due to the rotation of bottle. A tunnel is formed as the water is flowed down, by increasing the speed of water around the center, which is called as centripetal force.