Stronger acids have the capacity to produce higher concentration hydrogen ions and can be completely ionized in an aqueous solution. Weak acid produces a fewer concentration of hydrogen ions. Let us learn the way to compare the pH of strong acid and weak acid of same concentration solution.
To compare the pH of solutions of strong and weak acids of the same concentration – hydrochloric acid (HCl) and acetic acid (CH3COOH).
0.1M HCl, 0.01M HCl, 0.001M HCl, 0.0001 M HCl, and 0.00001M HCl test tubes, glass rod, and universal indicator.
The procedure of determining the pH using pH paper:-
- Take 2-3 drops of solutions of the given concentration on pH paper with the help of glass rod.
- Observe the change in colour of the pH paper
- Match the shade of the pH paper with standard pH indicator chart.
- Note the approximate pH of the sample
The procedure of determining the pH using universal indicator:
- Take dry 5 test tubes and fill 5 mL of each solution of various concentration given using measuring cylinder.
- Drop 2-3 drops of universal indicator in each test tube using a dropper.
- Note the change in the colour seen in the test tube.
- Compare the colour of the solution in the test tube with a standard pH indicator chart
- note the pH of the solution
Precautions to be taken during the experiment:
- Ensure to handle the test tube carefully.
- Do not add more indicator.
- Keep the pH paper clean.
- Compare the colour of the solution in the test tube and pH paper colour exactly with the standard pH indicator chart.
|sample||The colour produced on pH paper||The colour produced in solution||Approximate pH value|
- What is the effect of dilution on pH?
- the pH of the acidic solution increases on dilution
- the pH of basic solution decreases on dilution
- What is the universal indicator?Universal indicator is a mix of several indicators having various pH range. It is used to highlight the colour range due to change in pH.
- What is the pH of the acidic solution?Less than 7
- What is the pH indicator chart?It is a standard chart that displays the resultant colour with corresponding pH value.
- What is an acid-base indicator?It is an inorganic indicator that indicates the change in colour with the change in pH value.