IIM Bangalore is India’s second-best B-school in Bangalore and is ranked 2nd behind IIM Ahmedabad in the list of top MBA colleges in India. IIM-B, which was established in 1972, is Equis accredited. It is the only institute to feature in Financial Times Executive Education 2015 Top 50 ranking. There are 105 full-time faculty members at IIMB and over 1200 students enrolled in various degree programs. Please refer BYJU’S CAT College Predictor tool.
In this Article,
- Programmes offered at IIM Bangalore
- IIMB Accreditation and Rankings
- IIMB Scholarships
- Placements & Career
- IIM Bangalore Online Courses
- Campus life
- IIMB & GNAM
- List of Prominent IIMB Alumni
- IIM Bangalore Average package & Placements
- How to get into IIM Bangalore
IIM Bangalore, one of the top MBA colleges in Bangalore, is situated in a 100-acre enclave in South Bangalore. The IIM Bangalore architecture is world-class, offering a wonderful atmosphere for management studies amidst lush green woods and manicured gardens.
Programmes offered at IIM Bangalore
IIM Bangalore provides seven management programmes and two certificate programmes for graduate students and those with professional experience. IIM Bangalore’s Executive MBA programmes provide candidates with the skills necessary to stay on top of the latest advancements in today’s fast-paced and dynamic economic environment. There is an increasing need for experienced mid-level and senior executives who have a strong track record of climbing the corporate ladder. IIM Bangalore courses, IIM Bangalore Executive MBA fees and Certificate programmes are listed below:
|Program Name||Accepted Entrance Exam||Program Duration
|Fellow Programme in Management (FPM)||GMAT/GRE/CAT, GATE/JRF/(NET),
*varies according to the specialisations
No tuition fee +
Stipend of Rs 35,000 per month for up to five years
|Post Graduate Programme in Enterprise Management (PGPEM)||CAT / GRE / GMAT/ IIMB Test||Two-year full time
Rs. 19,00,000 payable in 8 instalments.
|Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy & Management (PGPPM||Non-Government participants:
CAT, GMAT or GRE
|One-year full time programme
|Government Sponsored participants:
|Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP)||CAT/GMAT||2 Years
|Executive Post Graduate in Management (EPGP)||GMAT/GRE||1 year
Rs. 2900000 (inclusive of Accommodation In International Immersion )
|Minimum 5 years (and preferably less than 12 years) of work experience after completion of graduation.|
|Master of Business Administration (MBA)||*||Two-year weekend||Bachelor’s Degree, minimum 4 years of work experience after graduation|
|Master of Business Administration (Business Analytics) (MBA(BA))||CAT/GMAT||Two-year full time programme
|Bachelor’s degree with minimum 50% marks or equivalent|
|Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship (MGNF)||Two-year full time.
Fully Funded by MSDE. stipend of Rs. 50,000 per month during Year 1
stipend of Rs. 60,000 per month during Year 2
|N.S. Ramaswamy Pre-doctoral Fellowship (NSR Pre-doc)||One-year, Full Time programme||
IIMB Accreditation and Rankings
The EFMD Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) granted IIMB accreditation in December 2021 for a five-year period. EQUIS is a global school accrediting system administered by the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD). This is the second time that EQUIS has awarded IIMB accreditation for a 5-year period, which is the longest that EQUIS offers. IIMB’s excellent Doctoral Program, High-quality management programmes with a strong international reputation, significant commitment to MOOCs and digital learning, outstanding research accomplishments and publications in renowned global journals impressed the accrediting team greatly. The list of International rankings and National rankings that have
been awarded to IIMB are listed below:
|2022||QS Global MBA||33rd|
|2022||Financial Times Management Ranking||53rd|
|2021||QS Masters in Management||35th|
(No.1 Bschool in Central Asia)
|2021||Financial Times MBA||35th|
|2021||Financial Times Masters in Management Ranking||47th|
|2021||Outlook ICARE Annual Ranking||2nd|
|2021||India Rankings , Management Category||2nd|
|2021||Economic Times B-School Ranking||3rd|
Students in need of financial support can apply for funding support from the IIMB. The Financial Aid Policy of IIMB aims to ensure that no student is denied access to quality education at the institute due to financial constraints. Financial aid is available to all PGP students with an annual household income of less than INR 8,00,000. Students who face serious financial difficulties due to unforeseen events are also considered. In addition to financial aid, which is based solely on financial need, PGP students are eligible for several merit-based or merit-cum-need-based scholarships, which are listed below
Scholarships Offered by Industries and Corporations:
Citi Women’s Leader Award: This is a merit scholarship by CitiGroup that covers the cost of tuition for the second year. At the end of the first year, candidates are chosen from the top 25% of the batch. IIMB makes the nominations, and the students are chosen, based on their Statement of Purpose and subsequent CitiGroup interviews.
Aditya Birla Scholarship: Both first-year and second-year PGP students are eligible for the Aditya Birla merit-based scholarship, which grants INR 1.75 lakh. Students who were in the top 25% of their class the previous year are eligible to apply for renewal the following year (if they have received the scholarship during their first year).
OPJEMS Scholarship: Second-year PGP students are eligible for this merit-based scholarship. Based on their first-year academic performance, the top 10 students in the second year are eligible to apply. Each academic year, one student will be awarded INR 1.50 lakh based on an online test administered by the OP Jindal Group.
Societe Generale Global Solution Centre India Scholarship: The Societe Generale Global Solution Centre India Scholarship covers the entire tuition cost of the chosen candidate. The most deserving candidates are chosen from the first year, followed by subsequent interviews conducted by Societe Generale.
Hindustan Unilever / T Thomas Scholarship: HUL awards this merit-based scholarship of INR 1 lakh to one PGP second-year student.
Yes Bank Scholarship: This scholarship of INR 2 lakhs is open to students who are among the top 20 students as per the IIM Bangalore selection criteria. Students must be in the top 20% of their class as per the current CGPA, and be involved in at least one student committee.
Scholarships offered by the Government of India
Employment in Social Sector Scholarship: During the first three years of work in the social sector, this scholarship will reimburse one-third of the expenses after each year.
Ministry of Tribal Affairs Scholarship (ST): The Government of India’s Ministry of Tribal Affairs accepts the National Scholarship for Higher Education for Scheduled Tribe students in their first year of PGP. This is a type of scholarship that covers the entire tuition expenses.
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Scholarship (SC): The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment of the Government of India invites applications from meritorious SC PGP first-year students for the National Scholarship for Higher Education for Scheduled Caste students.
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment Department of Persons with Disabilities (PwD):
This is a means of scholarship of 2,55,000 per year for a disabled person with a 40% disability having the disability certificate issued by any competent medical authority. This is a means of scholarship of Rs. 2,55,000 per year.
Scholarship for Doctoral Students
- To fund the living expenses of doctoral students, a stipend of Rs 35,000 per month is provided to them, in addition to a tuition waiver for up to five years.
- Attending classes full-time, devoting their time to coursework and research, and assisting with teaching and research are required.
Additional financial assistance is also available through the following:
- A startup grant of Rs 75,000 will be awarded in year one to cover the costs of purchasing research-related hardware and software.
- A contingency grant of Rs 25,000 is provided annually in years 2–5 to cover expenses for purchasing hardware, software, books, and photocopying.
- The post-Comprehensive stipend increases to Rs. 37,000/- per month, and the post-Proposal stipend increases to Rs. 40,000/- per month.
- Non-residential subsidies of INR 15,000 (single students) and INR 20,000 (married students) would be given to students who are not provided accommodation at IIM Bangalore hostel.
- A national conference stipend of up to Rs. 60,000 is available for accepted papers that require prior approval.
- International Conference funding of up to Rs. 1,50,000 for the first accepted paper and up to Rs. 75,000 for subsequent conferences that require prior approval.
- Financial aid is available to all PGPBA students with an annual household income of less than INR 6,00,000. Other students who are experiencing serious financial difficulties due to unforeseen events are also considered.
The Financial Aid Committee decides on the number of beneficiaries and the amount of aid in two steps.
- Students are granted a financial status score in the first stage, based on four metrics: Annual Gross Household Salary (which includes the student’s income if they were employed before enrolling IIMB and any outstanding loans, if any), Household Savings, Real Estate Assets, and Other Assets.
- Selected students will be called for a personal interview with a faculty panel based on their score.
- During these discussions, the panel examines the student’s financial need, verifies the authenticity of the information submitted by the applicant in the application, and assigns a financial need score.
- Applicants receive 100 percent, 80 percent, 60 percent, 40 percent, or 20 percent financial aid, based on the weighted average of these two scores.
Placements and Career
IIM Bangalore’s placement process is administered by the Career Development Services (CDS) department and the Student Placement Committee. At IIM Bangalore, there are two stages to the recruitment process. The Lateral Placement Process caters to organisations’ rising demand for individuals with work experience. Only candidates with at least 18 months of experience qualify for the lateral placement process. The Final Placement Process is open to all eligible students. IIM Bangalore placements are among the best in the country. IIM B provides a brilliant platform to its students to work with the top recruiting firms belonging to domains like:
- International Banks– HSBC, JP Morgan, Nomura, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Citibank. Private Equity Firms– Blackstone Group and Germany Bases Incubator Rocket Internet.
- Indian Banks and Financial Institutions– Kotak-Mahindra Group, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Edelweiss.
- Consulting– McKinsey & Company and BCG, Accenture Management Consulting, Bain & Company, Booz & Company, Roland Berger.
- Conglomerates– Aditya Birla Group, Tata Administrative Services, Reliance Industries Ltd, Mahindra Group.
- Sales and Marketing– HUL, ITC, Coca Cola, PepsiCo, Asian Paints.
Technology– Amazon, Samsung, Google, Infosys, LinkedIn.
IIM Bangalore Online Courses
IIM Bangalore online courses have been expanded In light of the COVID-19 pandemic from April 2020. The digital learning capabilities have been tailored on numerous fronts to meet the industry’s needs. IIM Bangalore Short Duration Programmes (SDPs) and Long Duration Certificate Programmes (LDCPs) are the two types of open programmes (LDCPs). The Long Duration Certificate Programmes take place for two to twelve months. They are designed to meet the needs of managers for general management skills and foster skills and knowledge in specific niche fields. For example, Business Analytics, Finance etc., The Short Duration Programmes are 3-5 days long. The table will give you an overview of the various online courses offered by IIM Bangalore
|LONG DURATION CERTIFICATE PROGRAMMES||LIVE ONLINE PROGRAMMES||INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS|
|Executive General Management Programme – EGMP||Innovation
Leading Innovation in the Digital Era
Managing Technological Innovation
|Certificate of Excellence in Global Business Aerospace MBA|
|India Independent Directors Certificate Programme||Digital Business Models and Strategy||General Management Programme – GMPx2 in Dubai|
|Executive General Management Programme – EGMP||Strategy & General Management: Creating Successful New Products||Leading Digital Transformation|
|Tanmatra – Women in Leadership Programme I||Artificial Intelligence – AI and Analytics Based Business Strategy; Creating Business Value||General Management Programme for Aerospace and Aviation Executives – GMAE|
|Emerging Leaders Programme – Blended Online Programme||Design Thinking for Leaders||International Management Programme|
|Certified People Leader Programme-||Company Director’s Programme: Board Best Practices|
|international Management Programme – IMP – Batch 4||Strategic Leadership Programme For IT Companies|
|Strategic Leadership Development Programme||Strategy and Leadership in VUCA World|
|Advanced Management Programme – AMP||Strategic Leadership Development Programme-|
|Crafting Competitive Strategy|
Campus Life at IIM
The vibrant and interesting student life in and around IIMB provides a home away from home experience for students. At IIM Bangalore, you’ll have access to world-class study facilities, ensuring that your quest for knowledge is not just productive but also pleasant. The IIM logo features the Sanskrit phrase (tejasvi navadhitamastu), which means “let our study be enlightening.” This campus’s atmosphere is illuminating and multifaceted. The institution, located in India’s largest technological hub, is close to some of the country’s biggest firms, ranging from IT to consumer goods industries, providing students with the added benefit of combining academic knowledge with real-world experience.
- IIMB is a High-speed Wi-Fi accessible campus.
- The Computer Centre is accessible round the clock. Printing facilities are available at the Computer Centre and the IIM Bangalore hostel complexes.
- Students’ lives are made easier by a shared ERP platform for many activities, such as fees portals, library journals, grades and attendance.
- At IIMB, there are ten dormitory buildings, one executive block, and executive accommodation at the MDC. All students are provided with on-campus housing in well-appointed single rooms in the hostels.
- Standard amenities include 24-hour Internet access, fully automatic washing machines, a music room, and an entertainment area.
- IMB is among the few campuses that have implemented Moodle, the learning management system that serves as a bridge between students and faculty
- Students have access to a contemporary music room with outstanding acoustics, electric guitars, bass, amps, and a Tama drum kit.
- Food lovers can discover a wide variety of choices at the IIMB campus. Besides the mess, which provides four meals per day, the campus has a night canteen with restaurants such as Au Bon, Pain Park n Eat, Athica’s, and Amul.
- IIMB provides a dynamic sporting infrastructure that strongly emphasises the complete development of the student’s personality. Volleyball, Soccer, cricket, Tsepak, basketball, throwball, tennis, badminton, and various indoor activities are available.
- A newly designed sports complex, equipped with a brand new swimming pool, is soon to open, adding to the list of facilities that will help the Institute build a diverse and inclusive sporting culture.
IIMB Library :
- The IIMB Library is a distinctive element of the IIMB Campus. It is housed in an independent building adjacent to the amphitheatre with a total space of 55000 square feet.
- The majority of the books in the collection are in business, management, and related disciplines. The Institute’s teaching, research, and learning objectives require resource development policies and services. On and off-campus, e-Resources are available 24*7
- IIMB Library Collection Highlights includes:
1410+ AV Resources, 160742+ Books, 3495+ Electronic Books, 169+ Indian Journals, 8857+ International Journals (Print+Online) 313+ Archives of Journals, 42188+ Bound Volumes of Back Issues of Periodicals, 20019+ Micro Documents containing Annual Reports, etc., 1550+ Thesis – Submitted by FPM Students, 20+ Newspapers in 6 different languages and more than 5 Newspaper Archives.
- Thousands of full-text journals, dissertations, working papers, significant business and economics periodicals, including Sloan Management Review and the Economist, country-and industry-focused reports, and downloadable data are available in the database. Apart from the resources mentioned above, it also has international coverage, including
- Industry reports from Business Monitor Online and First search.
- Economist Intelligence Unit country data, country finance, forecast reports and views wire.
- Oxford country provides country forecasts and economic forecasts.
IIMB & GNAM
- The Global Network for Advanced Management (GNAM) was launched in 2012 and now includes 32 renowned business schools from diverse locations, economies and cultures.
- The Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) is the only Indian management school to join the GNAM. GNAMs major goal is to provide students with access to courses and short programmes to help them become better managers in a global world and foster innovation by connecting premier international business schools.
- Through the use of digital technology, the GNAM gives students from partner schools accessibility to select courses given by other partner schools and faculty members the option to teach an international class with students from member institutions.
- Each year, in March, June, and October, IIMB hosts three Global Network Weeks (GNWs), which bring together students from IIMB and a variety of partner schools to pursue extensive study at another network school.
List of Prominent IIMB Alumni
- Kiran Karnik – Former President of NASSCOM (Batch of 1985)
- Anjana Sinha – IPS Amarendra Sahu – Co-founder & CEO, Nestaway.
- Raghavendra Rau, PGP 1989, Professor of Finance at the University of Cambridge
- Hasmukh Adhia, IAS – Former Secretary, Ministry of Finance, Non-Executive Chairman of Bank of Baroda.
- Vipul Parekh – Co-founder,CFO, CMO of Bigbasket.com (PGP 1986-88)
- Peyush Bansal – Co-Founder and CEO Lenskart, One of the investors at Shark Tank India
- Damodar Mall – CEO, Reliance Retail (PGP 1986)
- Gopal Krishna Nayak – Former Director, IDCOLSoftware, Director IIT Bhubaneswar (PGP 1988)
- K. Radhakrishnan – Former Chairman,ISRO(PGP 1976)
- Sahil Barua – Co-Founder & CEO, Delhivery
- Ashish Goel and Rajiv Srivatsa – Co-founders ,Urban Ladder (PGP 2002-2004)
- Saugata Gupta – CEO & Managing Director, Mondelez (PGP 1989-91)
IIM Bangalore Average package & Placements
The Summer Placements for IIMB’s PGP and PGP-BA Classes of 2021-23 took place in November 2022. Despite the challenging post-pandemic business climate, IIMB saw an increase in hiring from industry verticals. Over two days, 542 offers were made, resulting in the placement of all 513 students who applied for placements. PGP Business Analytics 2021 summer placement included offers in Consulting, Analytics, Product Management, Business Intelligence, Marketing & Business Strategy across sectors like Management Consulting, BFSI, Conglomerate, E-Commerce, Ed-Tech. Some prominent companies are Aditya Birla Group, American Express, Bain & Company, McKinsey & Company, Philips, Samsung, Titan and Walmart. Listed below are the sector-wise offers made by various companies for the PGP Summer Placement.
|Consulting companies||Information technology||Finance & Analytics|
|Accenture – 33
Bain & Company – 22
The Boston Consulting
Group – 22
Kearney – 15
McKinsey & Company – 13
Tata Consultancy Services – 12
Alvarez & Marsal – 8
PricewaterhouseCoopers – 8
Ernst & Young – 7
GEP Consulting – 7
NRI Consulting – 7
Strategy& – 5
Auctus Advisors – 4
Arthur D. Little – 3
Miebach Consulting – 3
KPMG – 2
LEK Consulting – 1
Others – 9
|Microsoft – 13
Samsung – 6
Walmart Global Tech – 6
Visa Inc. – 4
InfoEdge – 3
UHG Optum – 3
Adobe – 2
Atlassian – 1
others – 3 .
|Goldman Sachs – 16 offers
Citibank – 7
Kotak Mahindra – 9
Standard Chartered – 1
Avendus Capital – 4
Barclays – 4
Deutsche Bank – 4
Bank of America – 1
Arpwood Capital – 2
Blackstone – 2
JP Morgan – 3
HSBC – 2
CDC Group -1
White Oak Capital Management – 1
others – 22
American Express – 7
FinIQ – 2
others – 10
Credit Suisse – 1
Gaja Capital – 1
Morgan Stanley – 1
Axis Bank – 1
D.E. Shaw – 1
|E-commerce and Operations|
|Flipkart – 5
Uber – 4
Myntra – 2
Others – 2
Amazon – 29
|Conglomerates||Sales and Marketing||Leading Startups|
|Adani Group – 7 Tata Administrative Services – 6 Aditya Birla Group – 5 Vedanta – 5
Reliance – 4
Bajaj Finserv – 3
CK Birla – 3
NPCI – 3
Capgemini – 2
Hinduja Group – 2
Jindal Steel – 2
True North – 2
JSW – 1
Piramal – 1
Others – 30 .
|Nestle – 8
Pidilite – 7
Samsung – 6
Asian Paints – 5
HUL – 5
Disney-Star – 4
AB InBev – 3
Saint Gobain – 4
Tata Sky – 4
Jubilant – 3
Pernod Ricard – 3
Philips India – 3
Wipro Consumer Care – 3
Kimberly-Clark – 3
Baja Auto – 2
Colgate-Palmolive – 2
Mondelez – 2
Coca-Cola – 1
Dabur – 1
ITC – 1
Others – 29
|Navi Technologies – 11 BYJU’S – 6
Udaan – 3
LatentView Analytics – 1 Licious – 1
Purplle – 1
Swiggy – 1
IIM Final Placements for 2019-2021
IIM B had concluded final placements for the batch of 2019-21 with the highest package of 28 LPA. 120 recruiters participated in the placement drive and offered almost 480 placement offers to the students.
|Final Placements PGP 2019-21|
|Number of Students||440|
|Number of Offers Made||481|
|Number of Companies||120|
|Pre-Placement offers Made / Accepted||193/160|
|Lateral placement offers Made / Accepted||110/98|
|Opting out of Placements||9|
|Number of offers during the Final Placement Week||178/173|
|Summary of Compensation||Salary|
|Median Salary||28.60 LPA|
|Average Salary||28.98 LPA|
Sector-wise Breakup of Final Placements 2019-2021
Some of the top recruiters for the Final Placements are Accenture Strategy leading with 41 offers and other companies are KPMG, Flipkart, TCS, Microsoft, Paytm, Vedanta, Bain & Company etc.,
|Sector||Number of Offers Made|
|Sales & Marketing||9|
IIM Bangalore Summer Placements for 2019-2021 PGP Batch
Out of 446 offers made during the summer placement, 441 offers were accepted by students. Four students chose to opt out of the placement process. Top recruiters of the Summer placement were Amazon leading with 24 offers, Bain& Company, Accenture Strategy, Microsoft, Kearney etc.
|Sector||Number of Offers Made|
|Corporate Finance & Commercial Banking||16|
|Sales & Marketing||8|
IIM Summer Placements for 2020-2022
Out of the 532 offers made by the companies, 517 offers were accepted by students, while 8 of the students opted out. Top recruiters of the Summer placement were Amazon leading with 31 offers, Bain& Company, Accenture Strategy, TCS, Kearney etc.
|Sector||Number of Students Placed|
|Sales & Marketing||18|
|IT / Product Management||14|
IIM Final Placements for 2018-2020 PGP Batch
IIM B had concluded final placements for 2019-21 with the highest package of 28 LPA. 120 recruiters participated in the placement drive and offered almost 480 placement offers to the students. Top recruiters of the Final Placement process were Accenture Strategy, The Boston Consulting Group, Bain & Company, Amazon, Goldman Sachs, Paytm, McKinsey & Company, Microsoft IDC etc.
|Final Placements PGP 2018-2020|
|Number of Students||432|
|Number of Offers Made||518|
|Number of Companies||120|
|Pre-Placement offers Made / Accepted||216/149|
|Lateral placement offers Made / Accepted||108/86|
|Opting out of Placements||3|
|Number of offers during the Final Placement Week||194/194|
|Summary of Compensation||Salary|
|Median Salary||25.00 LPA|
|Average Salary||26.18 LPA|
|Summary of Compensation||Salary|
|Median Salary||26.00 LPA|
|Average Salary||32.10 LPA|
The table below shows the sector-wise classification of the final placement process:
|Sector||Number of Offers Made|
|Marketing & Sales||11|
|Corporate Finance & Commercial Banking||10|
How to get into IIM Bangalore
Now that you’ve figured out “Why MBA?”, what’s next? The following question is, “How do I get into IIM Bangalore? Let us look at the IIM Bangalore MBA admission procedure and the steps involved.
As part of the IIM Bangalore admission criteria, candidates must pass three stages:
- Writing CAT (Common Admission Test)
- Written Ability Test
- Personal Interview.
The candidates clearing the CAT exam will be shortlisted for the Phase 1 selection process, including WAT and PI. The final selection of the candidates depends upon the total aggregate score.