IIM Bangalore

IIM Bangalore is the top MBA college in Bangalore and is ranked 2nd amongst the top B-schools in India after IIM Ahmadabad. Established in 1972, IIM-B is Equis accredited and is the only institute to feature in Financial Times Executive Education 2015 Top 50 rankings. The campus is spread over 100 acres in south Bangalore and provides excellent infrastructure and research facilities.

IIM Bangalore

Programs offered at IIM B:

IIM Bangalore offers various programmes to both the fresh graduates and work experience holders. There are mainly 6 Management programmes that IIM B offers:

  • Fellow Programme in Management (FPM)
  • Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP)
  • Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy & Management (PGPPM)
  • Post Graduate Programme in Enterprise Management (PGPEM)
  • Executive Post Graduate in Management (EPGP)
  • Executive Education Programme (EEP)

Placements and Career:

IIM Bangalore placements are one of the best in the country. IIM B provides a brilliant platform to its students to work with the top recruiting firms belonging to domains like:

  • International Banks– HSBC, JP Morgan, Nomura, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Citibank.
  • Private Equity Firms– Blackstone Group and Germany Bases Incubator Rocket Internet.
  • Indian Banks and Financial Institutions– Kotak-Mahindra Group, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Edelweiss.
  • Consulting– McKinsey & Company and BCG, Accenture Management Consulting, Bain & Company, Booz & Company, Roland Berger.
  • Conglomerates– Aditya Birla Group, Tata Administrative Services, Reliance Industries Ltd, Mahindra Group.
  • Sales and Marketing– HUL, ITC, Coca Cola, PepsiCo, Asian Paints.
  • Technology– Amazon, Samsung, Google, Infosys, LinkedIn.

IIM B had concluded final placements for the batch of 2013-15 with the highest package of 37-40 LPA. Even for the batch of 2015-2017, 160 recruiters participated in the placement drive and offered almost 400 placement offers to the students.

How to get into IIM Bangalore:

Getting admissions into IIM Bangalore require the candidates to clear the following three stages:

  • Writing CAT (Common Admission Test)
  • Written Ability Test
  • Personal Interview.

The candidates clearing the CAT exam will be shortlisted for the Phase 1 selection process which includes WAT and PI. The final selection of the candidates depends upon the total aggregate score.

IIM Bangalore Selection Criteria- Phase 1 Shortlisting:

The IIM cutoffs are decided every year by the respective institutes. IIM Bangalore also follows the cut-off criteria and sets the minimum scores for short-listing every year accordingly. The IIM Bangalore shortlist criteria and cut-off for the 2017-19 batch (CAT 2016 percentiles) is given for reference:

Category VARC DILR QA Aggregate
General 85 80 80 90
SC 70 65 65 75
ST 60 60 60 75
NC-OBC 75 70 70 80
PWD 60 60 60 75

 Short-listing Factors:

IIM Bangalore follows some factors that they use to short-list the candidates and call for WAT and PI. The factors are:

  • 10th Board Scores
  • 12th Board Scores
  • Graduation Scores
  • CAT Score/ Percentile
  • Work Experience and Professional courses
  • Gender Diversity

 Profile-wise Weightage Distribution:

A total of 60% weightage is given to the overall academic profile of the candidate and the remaining 40% is from the CAT score.

Factors Weightage
CAT Score/Percentile 40%
10th Board Scores 20%
12th Board Scores 20%
Graduation Scores 20%
Gender Diversity 2%
Work Experience 8*

*Note: The Work Experience score is calculated as

Score  = 8x/36 for x<36 and

= 8 for x>=36.

Here x= work experience in months.

After the First shortlisting, the candidates are called for WAT (Written Ability Test) and PI (Personal Interview). Exceptional candidates from all fields are directly called for phase 2.

IIM Bangalore Selection Criteria- Phase 2 Selection:

The shortlisting is done on the basis of the performance of the candidates in WAT and PI along with the revised profile-wise weightage of the individual candidates. The work experience score will be multiplied by the work experience score from Phase 1. The overall factors and their average weightage are given below:

Factors Weightage
10th Board Scores 10
12th Board Scores 5
Graduation Scores 10
Work Experience 10
WAT Score 10
PI Score 30

Note: The WAT and the personal interview scores are added to the other scores including the CAT score to calculate the total aggregate score.

Stay tuned with BYJU’S to get more information on the IIMs and their selection procedures along with various tips and strategies for WAT and Personal Interview. BYJU’S also provide various engaging video lessons to help the candidates learn more effectively and ace the exam.