Getting a crowning score in GRE is always incomplete without a solid preparation for the verbal reasoning section. The biggest mistake any person can make is assuming that the verbal reasoning section is just one part of GRE, but the reality is, it is not just a single section. The verbal reasoning segment is composed of three different sections:
- Reading Comprehension (RC)
- Sentence Equivalence (SE)
- Text completion (TC)
If you are planning to get above 95 percentile in the verbal reasoning section of GRE, then it is important to be proficient in a minimum of the two sub-sections listed above and at least be average in the third one. The principal task you need to accomplish is to find the two subsections that can work as your secure areas and in which you are good at. You also have to find the section you are not so strong in and start working hard on it. Of course, you would not be willing to lose marks in the relatively weak section either. Here are a list of books that can help you prepare well for the verbal reasoning in GRE and increase your confidence manifolds.
- ETS Official Guide to the Revised GRE, General Test: This book is the ultimate Holy Grail for the test takers as it emerges from the hand of the GOD, (i.e) the test creators, themselves. Since the team of ETS designed this book, therefore the difficulty level and the question patterns are remarkably similar to the actual GRE exam. We definitely suggest that you prepare for GRE diligently using this book since it contains the GRE syllabus up to date.
- Gruber’s Complete GRE Guide: This book is the most recommended book for starting the journey into the world of GRE. It is highly profitable for those who are starting their preparation from scratch and believe in self-preparation. This book provides a basic introduction to GRE and also explains about the test format of GRE. It contains a vast amount of the preliminary GRE words and hence can be considered a good book to start your preparation with.
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis: The next most important step is building your vocabulary, and no book can beat the collection of words of this book. The words listed in this book are based on the etymology of the words. So, playing with words become easy and fun as you know the parent words.
- Manhattan GRE Guide: The publishers of Manhattan GRE Guide provide a separate book for each topic. So, find out which section you are weak in and choose the same book as each volume of the book focuses on a particular sub-section. Therefore more the elaboration accompanied with the practice sets, the better will be the understanding and the preparation. Moreover, it has been seen that the questions in these books tend to be tougher than the usual questions. So, if you can get a high score in the practice tests in this book then surely you will get a better score in the real exam.
- The verbal workbook by Kaplan: It is a famous proverb in English that says Practice makes a man perfect’ and this is the tagline of this book. This book provides tough test sets along with ample questions to materialize your preparation on better ground.
Prepare well with the help of these books and keep practicing; then D-day won’t be stressful for you as you will enter the exam hall with a new found sense of confidence.
BYJU’S will be glad to help you in your GRE preparation journey. You can ask for any assistance related to GRE from us by just giving a missed call at +918884544444, or you can drop an SMS. You can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.