Asia, the world’s largest continent, offers more bang for your buck with tons of study abroad programs in over 50 countries. The most popular Asian countries among the international students are Japan, China, and South Korea. Some of the world’s top universities are located in these countries. These countries are extremely popular for the top-notch education and research facilities they provide. Most Asian countries are growing rapidly, leading to more job opportunities for college pass-outs. Asia has a rich cultural heritage. Pursuing your master’s from an Asian country can be an excellent way to learn more about the vibrant eastern cultures. Given below are some of the government-funded scholarships for M.S. in Asia:
Young Leaders Program
The Young Leaders Program provides Indian students an opportunity to pursue a master’s degree course from Japan. This scholarship is completely funded by the Japanese Government. The government officials can also participate in these programs and pursue courses that enable them to perform their tasks with better efficiency.
The maximum age limit for courses in public administration, local governance and law is 40 years. The maximum age limit for a course in business administration is 35 years.
Fields of Study
- Public Administration
- Local Governance
- Business Administration
Government officials can pursue courses in public administration or local governance. While university graduates with 3 or 4 years of experience can pursue courses in law or business administration.
The number of students who are provided this scholarship is about 6. Under this scholarship, a stipend of 242,000 Yen (Approx. Rs.142,000) will be provided to the grantee on a monthly basis. The grantee is exempted from paying any tuition fee. The benefits under this scholarship also include round-trip airfare.
The students can apply for this scholarship between the months of August and October.
HKSAR Government Scholarship Fund
The Hong Kong government established in 2008 the $1 billion HKSAR Government Scholarship Fund (the Fund) to recognize outstanding local and non-local students. The aim of this scholarship is to attract outstanding local students to advance their studies at home and meritorious international students to pursue higher education opportunities in Hong Kong.
In deciding if a student who applies for the above scholarships should be awarded, the institutions take the following qualities into consideration –
For students of full-time publicly-funded sub-degree programmes:
(a) high standard of academic performance;
(b) demonstration of leadership and good communication skills;
(c) valuable contribution to the institution/community; and/or
(d) strong commitment to the Hong Kong community.
For students of full-time publicly-funded degree or above level programmes:
(a) excellent performance in academic studies
(b) recognized contribution to the institution/society
(c) demonstrated leadership and good communication skills
(d) strong commitment to the Hong Kong community
The scholarship is $40,000 per year for local students and $80,000 per year for non-local students. In 2011, the Hong Kong government injected $250 million into the Fund to extend the benefit to students of full-time publicly-funded sub-degree programmes offered by five institutions (City University of Hong Kong, the Education University of Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, HKAPA and the Vocational Training Council) from 2011/12 academic year onwards. The scholarship award for the sub-degree students is between $20,000 to $30,000 per year for both local and international students.
Number of Scholarships
Since the 2012/13 academic year, up to ten targeted scholarships have been offered each year to first-year international full-time students from ASEAN countries, India and Korea who are enrolled in publicly-funded degree programmes in Hong Kong.
Korean Government Scholarship Program
The Government of South Korea provides “Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) for Graduate Degrees”. Indian students can apply for these scholarships as per the procedure provided by the National Institute for International Education (NIIED), Government of Korea.
8 candidates would be awarded a scholarship. Final Selection would be done by the Government of South Korea.
Value of Scholarship
- Settlement Allowance: 200,000 KRW
- Language Training Fees: Fully covered
- Monthly Allowance:
- Degree Program (Master’s or Doctoral): 900,000 KRW
- Research Program: 1,500,000 KRW
- Research Allowance:
- Liberal Arts and Social Science majors: 210,000 KRW per semester
- Natural Science and Engineering Degrees: 240,000 KRW per semester
- Degree Tuition: Fully covered
- Tuition up to 5 million KRW is covered by NIIED, and the amount that exceeds 5 million is covered by the scholar’s university.
- The KGSP scholars are waived from the university’s admission fees.
- Degree Completion Grants: 100,000 KRW(offered once)
- It is offered for the KGSP scholars who return to their home countries after completing their degree coursework under the scholarship programme.
- It is not offered for the KGSP scholars who decide to stay in Korea after the completion of their degree coursework.
4. Language Training Fees, Degree Tuition, Thesis (dissertation) Printing fees and Grants for high Korean Proficiency (Topik level 5 or 6 achievers) are ONLY given to degree pursuing scholars.
5. Medical Insurance: 20,000 KRW per month
6. Korean Proficiency Grants: 100,000 KRW per month
Airfare: Payment for Round-trip economy class ticket will be made by NIIED, Government of Korea.
- An applicant who is working as a Professor must be under 45 year of age.
- Applicants applying for Master’s/ Doctoral Programme must be under 40 years of age
- For Master’s Programme: Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree
- For Doctoral Programme: Applicants must hold a Master’s degree
- For Research Programme:
- Professor Exchange Program: Applicants must hold a master’s degree, or a diploma equivalent to or higher than a Master’s degree.
- Postdoctoral Research Program: Applicants must hold a Doctoral degree, or a diploma equivalent to a Doctoral degree.
The minimum eligibility is 65% or more for the Biotechnology and Electronic Engineering.
Note: Applicants who have completed a Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctoral degree in Korea are not eligible to apply.
Level of Course
- Research Programme
- Korean Language
- International Relations (including Korean Studies)
- Electronic Engineering
Period of Scholarship
- Master’s Degree Program: Up to 3 Years
- Doctoral Degree Program: Up to 4 Years
- Research Program: Up to 6 Months
Applicants are required to apply online through the portal http://proposal.sakshat.ac.in/scholarship.
Scanned copies of the following documents need to be uploaded at the time of online application at http://proposal.sakshat.ac.in/scholarship .
- Transcript in respect of the candidate’s higher qualification(s).
- Bachelor’s/Master’s/Doctoral degree or equivalent.
- Marks sheet and certificate for Higher Secondary Examination
- Marks sheet and certificate for Secondary Examination
Note: Candidates are required to obtain transcript from their university/institution.
Candidates, shortlisted for interview, are required to bring the following documents at the time of interview:
- Candidates must provide a write-up of his/her plan of study in at least (a) 500 to 1000 words for Master’s Programme (b) 1000 to 2000 words for Doctoral and Research Programme.
- Original Certificates along with mark sheets of Class X, XII & Transcripts and degree (if awarded) in respect of their higher qualification(s).
- NOC/ Cadre clearance (in case of Government Servant).
- Letter of Recommendation: At least two letters of recommendation are required. The candidates are advised that they ask their professors and academic advisors for such letters. However, a university may ask for more letters of recommendation. The letters of recommendation are required at the time of interview.
- Korean or English Language Proficiency Certificate (if any): It is an optional document and you may apply for KGSP without it. However, Embassy of South Korea in New Delhi or some universities do require the language proficiency certificate.
- Preference for Universities: Candidates are required to give preference for three universities of study on their application form.
BYJU’S will be glad to help you in your GRE preparation journey. You can ask for any assistance related to GRE from us by just giving a missed call at +918884544444, or you can drop an SMS. You can write to us at email@example.com.