Once you take the GRE test and get hold of the results, the next logical thing you might think is a way to get funding for your postgraduate degree. If you plan to study in the US or Europe, then arranging the finances can be a huge headache. The cost of education and living are by no means cheap and can burn a big hole in your pocket. If you resort to applying for educational loans from banks you are supposed to pay huge EMIs and often it may leave your aspirations to study abroad in jeopardy.
However, there are some educational institutions which award significant scholarships to the Indian aspirants based on the GRE score and considering the whole application portfolio including undergraduate GPA, Letters of Recommendations, any prior research, etc. Ultimately, the GRE score is a part of the package that they need to award a scholarship. The are many good ways to secure scholarships and we’ll discuss a few here.
Types of Scholarships
There are two kinds of scholarships one can avail.
1. The university to which you’re applying to,
2. and philanthropic organisations which help the students by sponsoring their tuition fees and stay.
Many universities offer scholarships to students who have an excellent academic track record and are committed towards a rigorous research. Applying to a scholarship offered by a university can as easy as clicking a tick mark in the application to writing an essay to explain why you deserve it. However, it is not clear how much the GRE score matters in securing the scholarship. Make sure you check with the university you’re applying to if they provide scholarships to international students. Sometimes the colleges offer a partial scholarship, which can be converted to a full scholarship in the second year if the performance of the candidate is up to the mark.
Some philanthropic organisations offer scholarships to students willing to pursue higher education. However, many of them have eligibility criteria to satisfy in order to apply to them. These can vary from gender, religion, country of origin, etc. Thus you have to make sure you tick all the boxes in order to be eligible for the scholarships. Again, it is unclear how important a role the GRE scores play in awarding scholarships.
Scholarships for Indian students in USA
- Fulbright- Nehru Fellowship– It is offered by the United States-India Educational Foundation and is limited up to 100 deserving candidates. It is one of the best scholarships available as it provides the student with a J-1 visa, covers travel to and fro India to the city of the respective university, tuition fees, living expenses and provide accident and sickness coverage too.
- Tata Scholarships for Cornell University– This scholarship is provided by the Tata foundation for Indian students getting into Cornell University.
- Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation Scholarship– Indian candidates who are below 30 years of age and have an acceptance letter from the university are eligible to apply. It covers one-way travel, tuition fees and living costs up to US $100,000.
- Inlaks Research Travel Grants– This is also given by the Inlaks foundation. It is given to eligible research scholars.
- Lady Meherbai D.Tata Scholarships (Women Only)– It is given by the Tata Foundation for women who have a consistent academic record and have secured admission into the university.
- Rotary Foundation Scholarships
There may be many more gold mine of scholarships lying somewhere out there. Make sure you do your own research to secure your funding.
Scholarships for Indian students in Europe
- Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarship– It is awarded by St. John’s College, University of Cambridge for Indian students pursuing doctoral studies.
- Hornby Scholarships– The Hornby trust awards this scholarship for students studying English literature and wanting to become teachers of the English Language.
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships- The trust offers scholarship ranging up to a year’s tuition fee, covering accommodation and living costs in the UK.
- Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation Scholarship– Indian candidates who are below 30 years of age and have an acceptance letter from the university are eligible to apply. It covers one-way travel, tuition fees and living costs upto US$100,000.
- Goa Educational Trust Scholarships– This is jointly given out by the British Council and the Goan government. It is valid only for students born in Goa or born to Goan parents.
There are many more scholarship and fellowship opportunities available. Do enough research and spend time in searching and applying for grants, as they can help you save a lot of money.
Byjus will be glad to help you in your GRE preparation journey. You can ask for any assistance related to GRE from us by just giving a missed call at 08039513255, or you can drop an SMS. You can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.