An M.S. from abroad can help you to get your dream job at a prestigious company. Universities like Stanford, Oxford, Harvard, University of Melbourne etc. are extremely popular for the impeccable education they impart across various domains. These universities boast of the state of the art research equipment, highly qualified faculty and plush campuses. But students have to pay a hefty price in order to avail these facilities. There are many private organizations that aim at preventing financial constraints from coming in the way of quality education. These organizations provide financial aid to meritorious students, who wish to pursue their master’s at these top universities. Given below are some of the private organization funded scholarships for M.S. students:
Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme
The Aga Khan Foundation provides a limited number of scholarships each year for postgraduate studies to outstanding students from developing countries. The scholarship is only awarded to the students who have no other means of financing their studies. Scholarships are awarded in the form of a combination of an equal amount of loan and grant. Hence, both the grant and the loan constitute 50% each of the total value of scholarship that is granted to a student under this programme. The competitive application process takes place once a year.
Only the tuition fees and living expenses are covered under this scholarship. Half of the scholarship amount is considered as a loan, which must be reimbursed with an annual service charge of 5%. A guarantor is required to co-sign the loan agreement. The payback period is five years, starting six months after the study period funded by the Aga Khan Foundation.
Level of study
The Foundation gives priority to requests for Master’s level courses but is willing to consider applications for Ph.D. programmes. Applications for short-term courses are not considered.
All universities except the universities located in UK, Germany, Sweden, Austria, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy, Norway and Ireland.
Field of Study
Students who are citizens of the following countries: India, Syria, Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Madagascar, Mozambique, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, and Kyrgyzstan. In France, Portugal, UK, USA, and Canada, applications are accepted from those who are originally from one of the developing countries that mentioned above. These applicants must be interested in development-related studies and have no other means of financing their education.
Preference is given to students under 30 years of age.
The Foundation only accepts applications of eligible nationals who are residing in one of the countries where there are local Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), Aga Khan Education Services (AKES), or Aga Khan Education Board (AKEB) offices which process applications and interview candidates.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.akdn.org/akf_scholarships.asp
Lady Meherbai D. Tata Education Trust Scholarship
The Lady Meherbai D. Tata Education Trust awards scholarships to Indian women who have attained undergraduate degrees from recognized Indian universities and wish to pursue higher education abroad.
Level of Study
Fields of Study
The Trust invites applications for the following fields of study:
- Education and Welfare of Children with Special Needs
- Status – Health and Empowerment of Women
- Gender Studies
- Social work
- Social Science
- Rural Development Work (with a focus on women and children)
- Communication for Development (with a focus on women’s issues)
- Development Studies
- Child Health, Development and Nutrition
- Health Policy and Health Education
- Public Health – Community Health Services, Reproductive Health
Value of Award
The value of the scholarship varies depending upon the individual circumstances.
The applicant must:
- Be an Indian woman who has an undergraduate degree from a recognized Indian University.
- Have applied for admission / secured admission to reputed accredited universities or institutions in the United States, UK or Europe.
- Have a consistently remarkable academic record.
- Work experience in the requisite fields will be considered an added qualification.
Deadline for Applying
The Inlaks-Shivdasani Foundation has been awarding scholarships to deserving young Indians since 1976. Inlaks has been providing the opportunity to young people with exceptional talent in any field to broaden their vision abroad and improve their skills to work for the betterment of society.
Scholarships are granted at top American, European and UK institutions, for funding requirements including tuition fees. The maximum value that is awarded to students under this scholarship is US$ 100.000. In case the total funding required exceeds US$100,000. Candidates must cover the additional cost by themselves. The scholarship will only be provided to those candidates who are fully funded.
The Foundation does not award scholarships for more than US$100,000. If the total funding required (tuition + living allowance) exceeds US$100,000, candidates must show evidence that they have the ability to cover full funding for their courses at the time of their interviews in May/June. The Foundation does not cover candidates that are not fully funded.
The Foundation has joint scholarship schemes with School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), London, Imperial College, London, Royal College of Art (RCA) and Cambridge Trust.
Terms of the Scholarship
- Scholarships are awarded in May/June generally for commencement in subsequent September and October. Any scholarship not commenced within 9 months will be forfeited.
- The scholarship will not be awarded to candidates whose proposed course of study or specific project requires field trips back to India during tenure.
- The scholarship covers for the period granted tuition fees, adequate living expenses, and one-way travel.
- Acceptance of other scholarships, teaching assistantships, and part-time jobs are welcome after approval from the Foundation.
- Candidates must be below 30 years of age on the first of July in the year of application.
- It is essential to have prior admission to the institution and course chosen. The Foundation will not consider candidates without admission or pending admission.
- The institutions concerned must only be top rank.
- Scholarships are open to all Indian citizens who are residing in India at the time of application.
- The award of other grants, teaching assistantships, and support from other sources for the proposed program will be regarded by the Foundation as a positive factor.
- People having a postgraduate degree (e.g. Master’s or Ph.D.) from a university outside India are not eligible; those who have started but not completed a postgraduate degree outside India are also ineligible.
- Candidates who are already studying or have started their program abroad are not eligible.
- Indian citizens who hold a good undergraduate degree from a recognized university outside India must have resided continuously and been employed or been studying in India, for at least two years, after their under-graduation.
The application must include:
- Evidence of admission to a university or a course, and a full detail of the institute’s financial requirements.
- Candidates in architecture, fine and applied arts, and related subjects must submit a maximum of 10 samples of their work.
- Evidence of any outstanding achievements in extra-curricular activities in any field.
- Photocopy of the first and last pages of your passport.
- Submit three recommendation letters together with your application. It is preferable that two of your referees should be academics who have taught you in your undergraduate studies.
- In case you have applied for another course, for which you are not applying to Inlaks for funding, at the same or another institution and have an offer of funding from elsewhere, you must inform us of the same even if it is not your intention to avail that offer.
Your application should be submitted with these enclosures in the following order:
- 2 sets of application forms
- Writing samples (if any)
- CV/ Resume
- Language test results (if any)
- Recommendation letters (3)
- Offer letter
- Fee Statement
- Photocopy of the first and last page of your passport
- Additional Certificates
- Portfolios if not too bulky / DVD (architecture/fine arts/ film/ media).
An independent Inlaks Selection Committee carries out the selection. Applications received are analyzed and evaluated, and the committee subsequently calls the most interesting candidates for interviews. All applicants must be available for interviews in India. The interviews take place in Mumbai or Delhi. Candidates shortlisted for the interviews will have to arrange for their own travel and accommodation.
BYJU’S will be glad to help you in your GRE preparation journey. You can ask for any assistance related to GRE from us by just giving a missed call at +918884544444, or you can drop an SMS. You can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.