The Master of Science (MSc) program in Computer Science and Engineering intends on preparing the students to face the technical demands of the industry as well as for the students who wish of pursuing a Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering or any other related field. The course program supports the students to –
- gain in-depth knowledge in Computer Science and Engineering specialization that can be selected from a broad range of options from hardware and computer architecture to networks and computer communications, and software.
- give students the opportunity of flexibly choosing a graduate elective for exploring professional or technical or vocational within the range of engineering.
It’s a known fact that graduate schools in India have generic syllabus of computer science for all the colleges, that is, each specialization has a pre-defined syllabus. Hence, students even before joining the college know the course framework that they would be studying in the span of four years of graduation. So, it is natural for the students to think the same in the case of MSc in computer science that they plan on pursuing in the USA.
But when it comes to US universities, there does not exist a single generic syllabus for all MS programs in all colleges. Hence, if you are looking for a standard syllabus on the internet for MS in computer science and engineering then your all efforts will go in vain. Instead, you should be searching for your field of interest and the colleges that provide excellent research in those areas. For example, you can look for Operating Systems, Software Engineering, Computer Networks, Database, Wireless Networks, Compiler Design and so on.
Nonetheless, if you have not decided your field of specialization yet but still want to make some basic preparation before joining the MS program then don’t be disappointed. Some topics are common for all MSc in computer science and engineering and among all universities. Some of this includes:
- Database: MSc intends on providing an introduction to the basics of database management systems. The topics included are- database system architecture, the theory of database design, query optimization, data models, crash recovery, concurrency control, and storage strategies. Object-oriented database management systems and object -relational databases are also included in the syllabus.
- Networking: There are real challenges and options in network systems. Network system focuses on the network, alternative link, and transport-layer technologies, routing, topologies, congestion control, IPv6, multimedia, ATM vs. IP, policy issues, and network management.
- Compiler Design: The syllabus of Compiler Design focuses on principles and practices of modern programming languages for their efficient implementation. The curriculum includes lexical, syntactic, as well as semantic analysis of programs, Inter- and intra-procedural analysis and optimization, an intermediate representation of the program, run-time system techniques.
These are some of the topics, though these are not the only subjects, other common subjects include software engineering, operating system, etc. that are common in all colleges that offer masters in Computer Science and Engineering. Byjus will be glad to help you in your GRE preparation journey. You can ask for any assistance related to GRE from us by just giving a missed call at 08039513255, or you can drop an SMS. You can write to us at email@example.com.