The Master of Science (MSc) program in Computer Science and Engineering intends on preparing the students to face the technical demands of the industry as well as assisting the students who wish to pursue a Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering or any other related fields. The course program supports the students to –
- Gain in-depth knowledge in Computer Science and Engineering specialization that can be selected from a broad range of options from hardware and computer architecture to networks and computer communications, and software.
- It gives students the opportunity of flexibility while choosing a graduate elective to explore professional, technical or vocational areas within engineering.
It’s a known fact that graduate schools in India have a generic syllabus of computer science at all the colleges, that is, each specialization has a pre-defined syllabus. Hence, students even before joining college know the course framework that they would be studying in the span of four years of graduation. So, it is natural for the students to think that this would be the same case in MSc Computer Science which they plan on pursuing in the USA.
But when it comes to US universities, there does not exist a single generic syllabus for all MS programs in all colleges. Hence, if you are looking for a standard syllabus on the internet for your Masters Degree in Computer Science and Engineering then your all efforts will go in vain. Instead, you should be searching for your field of interest and the colleges that provide excellent research in those areas. For example, you can look for Operating Systems, Software Engineering, Computer Networks, Database, Wireless Networks, Compiler Design and so on.
Nonetheless, if you have not decided your field of specialization before attempting your GRE exam but still want to make some basic preparation before joining the MS program then the following points will assist you. Some topics are common for all MSc in Computer Science and Engineering and among all universities. Some of this includes:
- Database: MSc intends on providing an introduction to the basics of database management systems. The topics included are- database system architecture, the theory of database design, query optimization, data models, crash recovery, concurrency control, and storage strategies. Object-oriented database management systems and object -relational databases are also included in the syllabus.
- Networking: There are real challenges and options in network systems. Network system focuses on the network, alternative link, and transport-layer technologies, routing, topologies, congestion control, IPv6, multimedia, ATM vs. IP, policy issues, and network management.
- Compiler Design: The syllabus of Compiler Design focuses on principles and practices of modern programming languages for their efficient implementation. The curriculum includes lexical, syntactic, as well as semantic analysis of programs, Inter- and intra-procedural analysis and optimization, an intermediate representation of the program, run-time system techniques.
These are some of the topics, though these are not the only subjects, other common subjects include software engineering, operating system, etc. that are common in all colleges that offer Masters in Computer Science and Engineering.
BYJU’S will be glad to help you in your GRE preparation journey. You can ask for any assistance related to GRE from us by just giving a missed call at +918884544444, or you can drop an SMS. You can write to us at email@example.com.