Graduate schools believe that the legitimate purpose of education is to enable an individual to think on their own. And basically, this is the only reason to ask for a Statement of Purpose. The points that a SOP includes are a “personal” statement that gives an account of experiences that helped you decide to apply for masters in computer science, what you propose to do in school along with your expectations from graduate school, etc. Though the demand is for a personal Statement of purpose but we all know that it is not that personal as it gets edited by at least half a dozen people. It is however essential to remember how crucial the SOP is for your admission into a university of your preference. Therefore a powerful well written SOP will certainly boost your chances of gaining admission.
- Reasons to request a SOP
The main concept to seek a SOP from an applicant is to get an idea about the prospective student, such as; what to expect from the candidate apart from their CGPA, GRE scores, and recommendation letters. Although drafting an SOP may seem like an uphill task, it is still an important part of the whole application process and therefore demands ample time and effort.
- How to write a SOP
While writing a SOP, we always get confused on what to write in SOP for a MS in computer science. Let’s jot down a few points that can help us in writing an incredible SOP. Though these points are CS specific yet they can be helpful for other disciplines as well. One should remember to be precise while writing a SOP. It is recommended that you specify your accomplishments in a concise way without it appearing to be blunt statements. You should ensure to customize the essay to your strengths, weakness etc instead of following a template version. The tone in the SOP must always remain formal and conversational so that it provides ease of reading to the admissions committee. Finally ensure that you have your SOP proofread by a professor or senior person from your under graduation university.
- Questions to answer in a SOP
Firstly, the graduate schools, even though they don’t ask, but they expect to get answers to the following questions:
- What will be your field of specialization at the graduate school?
- Why only this field?
- Why only this university? What did you like in this college?
- Why did you want to pursue your masters in this particular country? What do you like the most about it?
- What kind of skill set you have in your chosen field and how much?
- If you have already gained the experience, then what additional skills you want to acquire from his course?
- What are your plans after graduation; Job or research?
- What do you expect from both; the graduate program, as well as the university?
- Would you prefer any particular teacher to pursue your study or research? If yes, then why only them?
- In what ways you can contribute to our program and university?
- Any particular skill sets that you want to present?
- Apart from studies and work, what are your interests, hobbies, and habits?
- What makes you think that you can fit in the program and environment?
- Any unique characteristic or aspect that you want to tell us about? If there is, then why does it matter to the university or your batch mates?
These are a few of the questions which the admissions committee has, therefore it is mandatory to answer them in your SOP to make it an incredible one. But remember, don’t make it a boring essay but make it an interesting story that interests the reviewer to continue reading.
BYJU’S will be glad to help you in your GRE preparation journey. You can ask for any assistance related to GRE from us by just giving a missed call at +918884544444, or you can drop an SMS. You can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.