Graduate schools believe that the legitimate purpose of education is to enable an individual to think on their own. And basically, this is the only reason to ask for a Statement of Purpose. The points that a SOP includes are a “personal” statement that gives an account of experiences that helped you deciding to apply for masters in computer science, what you propose to do in school along with your expectations from graduate school, etc. Though the demand is of a personal Statement of purpose but we all know that it is not that personal as it gets edited by at least half a dozen people.
The main concept to seek a SOP from an applicant is to get an idea about the prospective student, such as; what to expect from the candidate apart from their GPA, scores, and recommendation letters. Even though the SOP sounds un-parliamentary, yet it is an important part of the whole application process and demands ample time and effort.
While writing a SOP, we always get confused on what to write in SOP for MS in computer science. Let’s jot down a few points that can help us in writing an incredible SOP. Though these points are CS specific yet they can be helpful for other disciplines as well.
Firstly, the graduate schools, even though they don’t ask, but they expect to get answers to the following questions:
- What will be your field of specialization at the graduate school?
- Why only this field?
- Why only this university? What did you like in this college?
- Why did you want to pursue your masters in this particular country? What do you like the most about it?
- What kind of skill set you have in your chosen field and how much?
- If you have already gained the experience, then what additional skills you want to acquire from his course?
- What are your plans after graduation; Job or research?
- What do you expect from both; the graduate program, as well as the university?
- Would you prefer any particular teacher to pursue your study or research? If yes, then why only them?
- In what ways you can contribute to our program and university?
- Any particular skill sets that you want to present?
- Apart from studies and work, what are your interests, hobbies, and habits?
- What makes you think that you can fit in the program and environment?
- Any unique characteristic or aspect that you want to tell us about? If there is, then why does it matter to the university or your batch mates?
These are a few questions that are compulsory to answer in your SOP to make it an incredible one. But remember, don’t make it a boring essay but make it an interesting story that interests the reviewer to continue reading. Byjus will be glad to help you in your GRE preparation journey. You can ask for any assistance related to GRE from us by just giving a missed call at 08039513255, or you can drop an SMS. You can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.