International Francophonie Day, which is traditionally celebrated on March 20, celebrates the link French-speaking countries share despite being culturally diverse and located in different corners of the globe.
La Francophonie Facts
- The ‘Francophonie Community’ today encompasses 63 states and governments that have opted to be a part of this group.
- To celebrate this sense of oneness through the bond of language, Alliance Française de Delhi has been organising cultural events.
- On March 19, a day-long celebration will bring together representatives of many different countries, who will set up stalls all over the Alliance Française venue.
- The evening will include a World Soul musical concert by Erika Lernot, who is of Martinican origin.
- For March 20, the French cultural centre in Gurgaon has a series of events lined up.
- This includes screening of films like Chloé Robichaud’sSarah préfère la course, Georges Lautner’s Les Tontons Flingueurs, and Pépé Le Moko that has been directed by Julien Duvivier.