UPSC Exam Preparation: Topic of the Day – Samagra Shiksha Scheme
Samagra Shiksha Scheme is an integrated scheme for school education extending support to States from pre-school to senior secondary level. The scheme was launched with a view to improve the quality of school education. The Scheme represents a paradigm shift in the conceptual design of school education by treating ‘school’ holistically as a continuum from pre-school, primary, upper primary, secondary and senior secondary levels. The scheme was drafted with the broader goal of improving school effectiveness measured in terms of equal opportunities for schooling and equitable learning outcomes.
Schemes of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA), Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA) and Teacher Education (TE) are subsumed under this scheme to ensure that the school education is treated holistically. The goal is to treat schooling as a smooth transition from pre-school, primary, upper primary, secondary and senior secondary level. It focuses on improving quality of education at all levels by integrating the two T’s – Teachers and Technology
Major features of the scheme:
- Scheme will focus on strengthening this crucial pillar by making SCERTs and DIETs the nodal agencies for teacher training.
- Each school would get sports equipment under the Samagra Shiksha Scheme to inculcate & emphasize relevance of sports to realize the dream of “Khelega India Khilega India”.
- Emphasis on “Kaushal Vikas” would be reinforced by strengthening the vocational education as an integral part of the curriculum.
- The scheme will focus on digital education. DIKSHA – the national digital platform for teachers would put high quality teaching learning resources for ready use of teachers. The Scheme will support ‘Operation Digital Board’ in all secondary schools over a period of 5 years, so as to enhance the use of digital technology through smart classrooms, digital boards and DTH channels. The Digital initiatives like ShaalaKosh, Shagun, ShaalaSaarthi will be strengthened.
- The Scheme envisages active participation of all stakeholders especially the parents/guardians, School Management Committee (SMC) members, community and the state functionaries towards the efforts to ensure quality education to children.
Read more ‘Topic of the Day’ and stay ahead of your competition.