The UPSC released its notification for the year 2017 on 22nd February. All the details that an IAS aspirant needs to know like the exam dates, exam pattern, UPSC exam syllabus, how to apply, etc. are included in it. This article talks about the third stage of the UPSC exam process, i.e., the UPSC personality test or the board interview. All those who have cleared the qualifying papers of the UPSC mains exam and have secured the UPSC-determined minimum marks (cut-off) will be summoned for the personality test. Read on to know more about the USPC civil services interview test.
- The interview will be out of 275 marks.
- The interview round marks will be included in the final marks for deciding the candidate’s rank.
- The interview will be conducted by the UPSC board.
- The board members will have a record of the candidate’s career before them.
- The candidate is expected to answer questions put forth by the board.
- The questions will be on matters of general interest as mentioned in the 2017 UPSC notification document.
- The board assesses the personality of the candidate. It wants to check if the candidate is suitable for a career in public services.
- It assesses the mental calibre of the candidate apart from his intellectual abilities, social traits and current affairs awareness.
- Some of the qualities on which the board assesses the candidate are mental alertness, clear and logical exposition, critical powers of assimilation, balance of judgment, ability for social cohesion and leadership, variety and depth of interest, intellectual and moral integrity.
- The nature of the interview would be along the lines of a natural conversation and not a cross-examination type of exercise.
- The personality test is not intended to be a test of a person’s specialized or general knowledge (which have already been assessed in the written rounds).
- Candidates are expected to develop and show an interest in events that occur around them both within and outside their state or country. They are also expected to show an interest as well-educated youths in new thoughts and discoveries.
For more information on the IAS exam dates, scheme and other details, and to download the 2017 UPSC Notification PDF, click on the link below:
UPSC has released the e-summon letter for the UPSC Interview 2016-17 which states that the UPSC interview will begin from 20th March, 2017.