India is collaborating with US on research and development of traditional medicines for various diseases including cancer
- The Ministry of AYUSH is mandated to promote and propagate AYUSH systems of medicine across the globe.
The measures being taken by the Ministry of AYUSH
- The Ministry of AYUSH signs Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) for ‘Country to Country’ cooperation in the field of Traditional Medicines;
- Sets-up AYUSH Academic Chairs in foreign Universities/ Educational Institutes
- Establishes AYUSH Information Cells in the premises of the Indian Missions abroad or Indian Cultural Centres for dissemination of authentic Information about AYUSH Systems of medicine and enters into MoUs with foreign institutes for undertaking collaborative research.
21 colleges in the country impart courses in Bachelor of Naturopathy and Yogic Sciences
The Ministry of AYUSH has established the following three organizations for the development of Yoga and Naturopathy and also for providing treatment through Yoga and Naturopathy in the country and the details of their activities are as under:
- Central Council for Research in Yoga & Naturopathy (CCRYN), New Delhi.
- Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga (MDNIY), New Delhi: MDNIY is running Yoga OPD. It is also providing Yoga treatment in 19 CGHS Wellness Centre and 4 Yoga Therapy Centres in Tertiary/Allopathy Hospitals.
- National Institute of Naturopathy (NIN), Pune :- NIN is going to establish ‘Nisarg Gram’ which consists of Naturopathy Hospital (250 Beds) at new site Yewalewadi, Tal. Haveli, Pune. As part of outreach activities, it is running a sanatorium for HIV+ve patients at Panchagani, Dist.Satara.
National Health Policy-2017 (National Health Policy 2017 IAS)
- The National Health Policy-2017 covers the entire health sector, including Yoga & Naturopathy.
- Further, the Ministry of AYUSH has constituted a National Board for Promotion and Development of Yoga & Naturopathy (NBPDYN), which provides advice on education & practice of Yoga & Naturopathy, as well as formulation of policy for promotion of Yoga & Naturopathy in the country.
- Central Council for Research in Yoga & Naturopathy (CCRYN) at the behest of Ministry of AYUSH is registering institutionally qualified BNYS/ND Degree holders who registered with State statutory boards.
Protein-Rich Foods for Soldiers
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) developed various nutritious and protein-rich foods to cater the requirements of Service personnel deployed at high altitude and snow bound areas.
- The major food products developed by DRDO during last three years and the current year are: Chicken biscuits; Protein rich mutton bar; Composite cereals bars; Egg protein biscuits; Iron and protein rich food bar; Whey Protein based chocolate; Chicken Katti Rolls; Anti-fatigue Tulsi Bar.
- Development of nutritional food by DRDO for Armed Forces is an ongoing process based on their requirements and latest technological research in the area. Some of them are Processed Food Technologies / Products and Test Kits (Frozen Meat Test and Alfatoxin Detection Kits), etc.
India to Host Global Conference on Cyber Space 2017 – World’s Largest Conference on Cyber Space
India will be hosting the 5th Global Conference on Cyber Space (GCCS) in 2017, one of the world’s largest conferences on Cyber Space and related issues.
Global Conference on Cyber Space (GCCS)
- Conference will see participation of around 2000 delegates from senior Government officials, industry leaders, academia and civil society from over 100 countries.
- GCCS will congregate and deliberate on issues relating to promotion of cooperation in cyberspace, norms for responsible behaviour in cyberspace and to enhance cyber capacity building.
- GCCS is a prestigious international conference that aims at encouraging dialogue among stakeholders of cyberspace, which has been taking place since 2011.
- Incepted in 2011 in London, GCCS witnessed a participation of 700 global delegates. It helped in setting up rules and guidelines for the editions to follow.
- The second conference was held in 2012 in Budapest with focus on relationship between internet rights and internet security and was attended by 700 delegates from nearly 60 countries.
- The third edition of GCCS was held in 2013 in Seoul with participation from 1600 delegates. The conference built on the themes such as Economic Growth and Development, Social and Cultural Benefits, a Safe and Secure Cyberspace, Cybercrime and International Security.
- The fourth version GCCS 2015 was held on April 16-17, 2015 in The Hague, Netherlands. The conference focused on Freedom, Security and Growth in cyber space. GCCS 2015 was a program designed as high level stock taking exercise and to generate input for other ongoing processes rather than an independent norm setting initiative.
Centrally Sponsored Schemes – sunset date for all schemes
- There are 28 Centrally Sponsored Schemes running across the country.
- All 28 Centrally Sponsored Schemes have sunset dates except Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme of the Ministry of Rural Development, which is under Mahatma Gandhi Rural Employment Guarantee Act.
Review of schemes post abolition of Planning Commission
- In para-110 of the Budget Speech of 2016 it was stated that every scheme should have a sunset date and an outcome review.
- In the past, every scheme used to be revisited at the end of each plan period for their continuation to the next Five Year Plan.
- It has been decided that after the Twelfth Five Year Plan, the medium term framework for schemes and their sunset dates will become co-terminus with the Finance Commission Cycles, the first such one being remaining Fourteenth Finance Commission (FFC) period ending March, 2020.
Prevalence of underweight and stunting among children has come down as per NFHS-4
Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) Scheme is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme, aiming at holistic development of Children below 6 years of age and Pregnant Women & Lactating Mothers, by providing a package of six services comprising
- Supplementary nutrition
- Pre-school non-formal education
- Nutrition and health Education
- Health check-up and
- Referral services through Anganwadi Centres at grassroots level.
Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) Scheme
- Three of the six services viz., immunization, health check-up and referral services are related to health and are provided by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare through NRHM & Public Health Infrastructure.
- The services are provided through 13.54 lakh Anganwadi centres located across the country.
- Cost of implementation of the Scheme is shared by the Center and States/UTs as per ratio decided by the Government from time to time.
“The State of the World‘s Children 2016” report by UNICEF
- As per “The State of the World‘s Children 2016” Report published by United Nations International Children Emergency Fund (UNICEF) which is based on 2005-2006 data, India ranks 10th in terms of underweight prevalence and 17th in terms of stunting prevalence in the world.
- However, as per NFHS-4 survey based on 2015-16 data the prevalence of underweight and stunting has come down to 35.7% & 38.4% from 42.5% & 48% NFSH-3.