GENERAL STUDIES PAPER 2
Category: Polity – Education
Topic: International Literacy Day – 2017
- The 51st International Literacy Day is being celebrated on 8th September, 2017 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- The theme announced by UNESCO is `Literacy in a digital world’.
- On this day, in the year 1965 the World Congress of Ministers of Education met in Tehran for the first time to discuss the programme of education at the international level.
- The UNESCO in its 14th Session in November, 1966, declared 8th September as the International Literacy Day.
- Objective is to mobilize public opinion in favour of struggle against illiteracy.
- The eradication of illiteracy has been one of the major national concerns of the Govt. of India since independence.
- The occasion of ILD is used for raising public awareness to eradicate illiteracy and create environment in favour of adult education programmes.
Category: International Relations
Topic: Curtain Raiser : Exercise Yudh Abhyas – 2017
Context: Indo-US Defense cooperation.
- 13th edition of joint military training, Exercise Yudh Abhyas – 2017 is being conducted at Joint Base Lewis McChord, Washington, USA from 14 to 27 September 17.
- Exercise Yudh Abhyas is one of the largest joint running military training and defence cooperation activities between India and USA, which is hosted alternately between the two countries.
- Exercise Yudh Abhyas will provide an opportunity to the armed forces of both countries to train in an integrated manner at Battalion level and also facilitate interoperability between the armed forces of both countries to meet any unforeseen contingency across the globe.
GENERAL STUDIES PAPER 3
Category : Economics – Infrastructure
Topic: Minister of Railways Shri Piyush Goyal chairs a high level meeting on Safety in Train Operations with Railway Board officials.
Context: Railway safety
- Minister of Railways and Coal, Shri Piyush Goyal meeting with members of full Railway Board & Safety Directorate of Railway Board to comprehensively review Safety measures for train operations.
- Two major causes leading to accidents were identified as :
- Unmanned Level Crossings
- Derailments due to defects in tracks
- Emphasised on identifying measures to reduce accidents due to derailments which has emerged as one of the major causes of Train accidents.
- Minister of Railways gave following directions to the Railway Board to ensure Safety in train operations:
- All unmanned level crossings should be eliminated expeditiously on the entire Indian Railway network in a year’s time from now.
- Track Replacement/renewal should be accorded Priority & the tracks (rails) earmarked for use for constructing new lines should be diverted to places/ stretches which are prone to accidents & where replacement is due.
- The procurement of new rails should be expedited on a large scale with a view to complete construction of new lines in time.
- The manufacturing of conventional ICF design coaches should be stopped forthwith & new design LHB coaches only should be manufactured.
- Anti-Fog LED lights should be installed in Locomotives so that unhindered safe train operations can be ensured during fog season.
- The Minister directed the Railway Board to monitor implementations of this action plan on a regular basis.