UPSC essay topics 2017/UPSC essay paper 2017
The UPSC civil services mains exam started on 28 October, Saturday with the essay paper. The format of the paper was unchanged from the previous year. There were two essays to be written each topic to be selected from a choice of four. The paper is given below.
You can download the 2017 IAS Mains Essay Paper PDF from here:
Write TWO essays, choosing ONE from each of the Sections A and B, in about 1000 – 1200 words each:
- Farming has lost the ability to be a source of subsistence for majority of farmers in India.
- Impact of the new economic measures on fiscal ties between the union and states in India.
- Destiny of a nation is shaped in its classrooms.
- Has the Non- Alignment Movement (NAM) lost its relevance in a multipolar world?
- Joy is the simplest form of gratitude.
- Fulfilment of ‘new woman’ in India is a myth.
- We may brave human laws but cannot resist natural laws.
- ‘Social media’ is inherently a selfish medium.
In section ‘A’, there were 2 questions on economy (questions 1 and 2). The third topic was from education and the last topic was on diplomacy/foreign affairs. In section ‘B’, there were two questions on ethics (questions 1 and 3). Question 2 was on women and the last topic was on technology. Read about the UPSC essay paper analysis of the past years.
UPSC has hit the predictable areas of women, education, technology and economy this time. The topics are relevant to this day and age but also not entirely new barring maybe the one on social media. A good preparation of the essay paper would have enabled candidates to fare well in this paper this year. Section ‘A’ topics were more straightforward than section ‘B’.
Also See | How to Write Essay in UPSC Exam