Some of the main and popular causes of corrosion are as follows:
- Too much humidity or condensation of water vapour on metal surfaces are the primary causes of corrosion.
- Corrosive gases such as chlorine, hydrogen oxides, ammonia, sulfur oxides, amongst others can result in corrosion of parts of electronic equipment, etc. Corrosion can also occur due to hydrogen and oxygen exposure.
- Corrosion in steel can occur when it is placed under too much stress and the material develops a crack in it.
- Metals exposed to electrical currents for a long time can experience electronic corrosion.
- Exposure to dirt and bacteria can cause corrosion in metals.