NEET 2018 Eligibility Criteria

NEET 2018 Eligibility Criteria

NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test) exam is an entrance examination held by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) for students aspiring for undergraduate courses (Medical and Dental) like MBBS and BDS in private and government colleges in our country. This exam primarily is one tier based and is conducted annually usually in the month of May from the year 2016, the AIPMT (All India Pre-Medical Test) has been replaced by the NEET Exam.

Before applying for NEET candidates should look at the application form to see as to whether they fall under the eligibility criteria mentioned in it. The criteria for the exam would vary as per the State or All India Basis.

NEET 2018 Eligibility Criteria

NEET Eligibility Criteria
Age Criteria
  • The max age limit is 25 years as on December 31, of the year of admission for candidates belonging to general category.
  • The min age limit is 17 years as on December 31, of the year of admission or students belonging to all the categories.
  • The max age limit is 30 years as on December 31, of the year of admission for candidates belonging to reserved category.
Aggregate Marks For General Category – 50% (Physically Handicapped, PH – 45%) and for OBC/SC/ST – 45% (PH – 40%) Note: The marks scored for Math would not be taken into consideration in this exam  
Number of Subjects There will be a total of 5 subjects with Physics, Chemistry, Biology being mandatory.  
Number of attempts   There is no such attempt limit in NEET 2018, only age limitation is applicable.
Year of Passing
  • Candidates who are appearing for their board exams in the year 2018 – Eligible
  • Candidates who have appeared for 12th standard exam in 2017 and appearing for an improvement exam in 2018 – Eligible
  • Students who have appeared for the 12th standard exam in 2016 and have taken improvement exam in 2017, can mention the year of the exam with a better score.

NEET Eligibility Criteria for State Quota

Candidates should note that around 85% of MBBS/BDS seats will be reserved for NEET states quota counseling. The rest 15% seats will be allotted at the central level for All India Counseling. Hence, candidates have to fulfill the below-mentioned criteria:

  • Applicants should be a resident of the respective state.
  • Applicants should have a proper proof of their residency.
  • Applicants should have completed (or pursuing) their schooling (12th standard) from the respective state.

Eligibility for All India Quotas in NEET

  • Applicants have to be a citizen of India.
  • The age of the candidate should be at least 18 years.
  • The upper age limit for candidates of general category will be 25 years, and for SC/ST candidates there is a relaxation of 5 years.
  • For applicants hailing from Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, and Jammu & Kashmir, they would be only eligible for admission to the Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune.

From the details, candidates can have a clear idea about the NEET Eligibility Criteria 2018. For further details, it is advisable that aspirants refer the NEET 2018 official website in case of additional clarifications. Stay tuned with Byju’s to get the latest notification and news on NEET 2018. Get the NEET Syllabus, NEET Exam Pattern, NEET Exam details, etc. only at Byju’s.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *