- A) bones lose their sensitivity to growth hormone in adults
- B) epiphyseal plates close after adolescence
- C) growth hormone becomes inactive in adults
- D) muscle fibres do not grow in size after birth
Answer:B) epiphyseal plates close after adolescence
Explanation: Epiphyseal plates are present at the end of long bones. It is a hyaline cartilage plate, where new bone growth takes place. It is also known as a growth plate. It is present in children and adolescents and gets replaced by the epiphyseal line in adults. This transformation is termed epiphyseal closure or growth plate fusion. In adults, hypersecretion of GH causes Acromegaly, which is characterised by severe disfigurement.
- What Is The Main Role Of The Hypothalamus?
- What Controls the Pituitary Gland?
- Is cortisol a stress hormone?
- What Is LH Surge?
- Which hormone stimulates the process of gluconeogenesis and glycogenolysis?
Stay tuned to BYJU’S to learn similar questions and important points related to chemical coordination and integration.