In bony fish, fish scales are broadly classified into the following types:
- Cycloid scales – these scales are uniform and have a smooth texture. The outer edge of these scales are usually smooth.
- Ctenoid scales – these scales are almost similar to cycloid scales. However, they have a unique feature called ctenii, which resemble small teeth on the outer edges of the scales.
- Ganoid scales – ganoid scales are called so because they are covered with an enamel-like substance called ganoin. These scales are also similar to placoid scales.
- List of 25 Important Topics in Biology for Competitive Exams
- List of Important NEET Questions
- NEET Question Papers – Free PDF Download
- Important Question – Biology
Register at BYJU’S Biology to explore other fascinating concepts.