Capsule performs a multitude of functions. They protect the bacterial cell from being ingested and destructed by phagocytosis. Capsules cause the bacterial surface constituents to be slippery hence, adhering to surfaces, camouflaging bacteria from the immune system by mimicking host tissues making bacteria resistant to complement the invasiveness. Capsule safeguards the cell from desiccation and toxic metabolites.
Visit BYJU’S for more information.
- What Is The Process Of Bacterial Multiplication Called?
- Does A Bacterial Cell Have A Cell Membrane?
- Why Is Bacterial DNA Circular?
- How To Identify Bacterial Colony?
- What Is A Bacterial Colony?