Meiosis II occurs in the secondary oocytes. Meiosis II is arrested at the metaphase II stage and is only completed after the penetration of sperm into the ovum. The second meiotic division is also an unequal division like meiosis I and results in the formation of the ootid and second polar bodies. The fertilisation occurs in the ampullary region of the fallopian tubes.
- Does Meiosis Happen Twice?
- Do Oogenesis And Spermatogenesis Both Continue Throughout The Human Lifespan?
- What Is The Advantage Of Arresting Meiosis In Oogenesis?
- How Many Mitosis And Meiosis Occur In The Process Of Oogenesis?
- Why Is A Single Ovum Produced By Oogenesis?
Stay tuned to BYJU’S to learn similar questions and important points related to oogenesis.