The International Olympiad on Astronomy and Astrophysics is an international competition for high school students in the subjects of astronomy and astrophysics, similar to the other International Science Olympiads. The International Olympic Committee’s IOAA has chosen one of the most innovative techniques for evaluating students’ understanding of space and astronomy. The rising relevance of astronomy in numerous disciplines of science and technology has also increased the prominence of IOAA among foreign students.
The test is divided into two sections: theoretical and practical competitions. You can learn all you need to know about the theory and practical exams here. Having a thorough understanding of the IOAA Exam Pattern 2022 will assist students in preparing for it. In this article, we will discuss more about the exam pattern of IOAA.
Each paper 5 hours
Number of exams
The theory portion of the IOAA is the first phase. There are both lengthy and short questions in this section. Below is a list of how many of each type of question.
- Five rapid questions make up the total number of short questions.
- The number of intermediate-length questions – There are five intermediate-length questions in the paper.
- The number of lengthy questions – There are two or three lengthy questions.
- The duration of the event is 5 hours.
The practical paper, which makes up a large portion of the IOAA, is subdivided into numerous sections. The allocated set of tasks may alter slightly as defined by the subsequent question papers. In most cases, students are given an assignment in one or more of the following categories. A practical assignment focused on all four locations is also possible. The syllabus for IOAA contains information on each of these topics. To do well in the practical exams, students must have a comprehensive understanding of each of these courses.
- Paper-based practical problem
- Computer-based problem
- Planetarium simulation
Methodologies for Conducting the Exam
The International Olympiad committee has mandated that the examination be spread out across four days. The competition organisers may determine the sequence of events. According to the committee, there should be at least one free day throughout the test. The IOAA should last around 10 days in total. The days of arrival and departure are included.
Criteria for Evaluation
Assume the reference score is M, and it is calculated as the lowest of 50% of the absolute score and the median score of all the contestants.
- Students will receive gold medals and certificates if they achieve a score that is greater than 1.6 M.
- A silver medal and certificate will be presented to anyone who achieves a score of more than 1.3 M but less than 1.6 million.
- A bronze medal will be awarded to the athlete with a score of M, but less than 1.3 M.
- A certificate of participation will be given to the remaining attendees.