The unit of measurement of sound is decibel. Decibel is denoted by dB.
A decibel meter is a device used to measure sound. Decibel meters are also called sound-level meters. It is used for acoustic measurements. The term decibel is used in acoustics.
Read more: Decibel
Important Decibel Questions with Answers
1. Define sound.
Sound is a vibration that propagates as an acoustic wave through transmission mediums like solid, liquid, or gas.
2. What are the types of sound?
Types of sound are Sonic, ultrasonic, and infrasonic.
3. ______ provides a relative measure of sound intensity.
- Luminous intensity
Answer: d) Decibels
Explanation: Decibels provide a relative measure of sound intensity.
4. Sound with a frequency of less than 20Hz is called _____
Answer: c) Infrasonic
Explanation: Infrasonic sound frequency ranges below 20Hz.
5. Which type of sound is classified as inaudible sounds
- Above 20 Hz and above 20 kHz
- Below 20 Hz and above 20 kHz
Answer: b) Below 20 Hz and above 20 kHz
Explanation: Sound with a frequency range between 20 to 20,000Hz are known as sonic.
6. Elephants use _____ sounds to interact with herds hundreds of kilometres away.
Answer: c) Infrasonic
Explanation: Infrasonics are heard by the elephants to interact with herds hundreds of kilometres away.
7. One decibel is one-tenth of _______
- 100 bel
- 1 bel
- 10 bel
- 1000 bel
Answer: b) 1 bel
Explanation: One decibel is one-tenth of one bel.
8. Decibel is named after ______
- Albert Einstein
- Michael Faraday
- Alexander Graham Bell
Answer: d) Alexander Graham Bell
Explanation: Decibel is named after the scientist Alexander Graham Bell.
9. Which instrument is used to study noise pollution to analyze the quantification of various kinds of noise.
- Sound level meters
Answer: c) Sound level meters
Explanation: Sound level meters aid in measuring the intensity of the sound in decibels.
10. Which sound has the frequency of 10dB.
- Normal Breathing
- Sound of violin
Answer: c) Normal Breathing
Explanation: Normal breathing is an almost inaudible sound that has a frequency of 10dB.
Characteristics of Sound Waves
- What is sound?
- Define decibel.
- What is meant by the sonic?
- Define the decibel scale.
- When the voltage and current are given, what are the formulas to calculate the decibel?