16. Which of the following are characteristics of Particularly Vulnerable tribal groups (PVTG’s)?
i) Pre agricultural system of existence, i.e. they practice hunting or gathering
ii) Zero or negative population growth
iii) Extremely low level of literacy
iv) Absence of a written language
Select the correct option
a) i and iii only
b) ii and iv only
c) i iii and iv
PVTG are a special class of tribal groups, classified as such by the govt of India, due to their especially low development indices when compared to other local tribes.
These were classified under the Dhebar Commission (1960-61), so as to better facilitate their growth, on par with other STs on national scale, and help them include in the mainstream development, while using their indigenous knowledge.
PVTG’s characteristics include:
1. Pre agricultural system of existence, i.e. they practice hunting or gathering
2. Zero or negative population growth
3. Extremely low level of literacy
4. Absence of a written language