The single electrode potential of chloride electrode of [Cl‑] = 0.1 M is (EoCl2/Cl‑ is 1.36 V)
- 0.136 V
The salt bridge in the electrochemical cell serves to
accelerate attainment of equilibrium
increase voltage of cell
maintain electrical neutrality
increase oxidation/reduction rate
Which of the following statements are true about an electrolytic cell?
- The reaction is non-spontaneous
- A potential equal to the cell potential needs to be applied.
- The flow of electrons is from anode to cathode.
- The flow of current is from anode to cathode.
We know that an electrolytic cell has three main components, an electrolyte and two electrodes (an anode and a cathode) and the electrolyte can come in two forms, either as molten or in an aqueous solution. Which of the following statements accurately describes an electrolytic cell?
- Alkali or alkaline earth metals, which are the cations of the electrolyte, do not get oxidized in an aqueous solution since water is more easily oxidized.
- In both molten or aqueous forms, the cation will be reduced and the anion will be oxidized.
- For aqueous solutions of the electrolyte, a gas may be produced at the anode.
- Polyatomic ions, which are the anions of the electrolyte, are typically more easily oxidized than water.
Liquid water decomposes into gaseous hydrogen and gaseous oxygen. The best description of this reaction is:
an electrolytic cell; exothermic reaction
an electrolytic cell; endothermic reaction
a galvanic cell; exothermic reaction
a galvanic cell; endothermic reaction
Deduce from the following Eº values of half cells, what combination of two half cells would result in a cell with the largest potential :
(i) and (iv)
(ii) and (iv)
(i) and (iii)
(iii) and (iv)
The blue color of aqueous copper sulphate solution fades when it is electrolysed using platinum electrode.
Read the given statements and choose the correct option
i) Electrolytic cell is a device which converts electrical energy into a chemical energy by a process of electrolysis.
ii) Electrochemical cell is a device which converts a chemical energy into electrical energy through a redox reaction.
- Only (i) is correct
- Only (ii) is correct
- Both (i) and (ii) are correct
Neither of (i) and (ii) are correct