Step1: Given data
- The density of the solid is
- The weight of the solid is
- The density of water is
Step2: The apparent weight of a body in a solid
- Volume is the ratio of mass and density, i.e, , where, m is the mass of the body and is the density of the body.
- We know the apparent weight of a body in a liquid is, .
- The buoyancy force exerted on a body in a liquid is equal to the weight of the displaced water due to the body. Buoyancy is defined by the form, , where, V is the volume of the body and is the density of the liquid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.
Step4: Finding the buoyancy force
The volume of the solid is
The buoyancy force exerted on the body when it is in the water is
Step5: Finding the apparent weight
As we know,
From equations 1 and 2 we get,
The apparent weight of the body is
Therefore, the apparent weight of the solid in water .