Deepak carried out an experiment to see the effect of increasing the amount of carbon dioxide available to a pondweed (a submerged plant) on the rate of photosynthesis carried out by the plant. The readings of the experiment are potted in the graph.
Answer these questions.
- How do you think he measured the rate of photosynthesis?
- How do you think he increased the amount of carbon dioxide in the water?
- Since temperature causes a change in the rate of photosynthesis, he kept the temperature constant throughout the experiment. Suggest one more factor that he should have kept constant.
- Why did the graph increase initially?
- Why do you think it ultimately levelled off?