Look at the picture carefully and answer the questions given below:
What can you see in the picture? Does the man look happy?
Give reasons for your answer.
2. Why does he have the bird hanging around his neck?
3. Have you heard of the expression- ‘having an albatross around your neck’? What do you think it means? Does it mean:
a. Something that you can always be proud of
b. Something that you have to do because you have no choice
c. Something that is with you all the time as a reminder that you have done something wrong?
4. What is an albatross?
Note: This question is to be answered on the basis of your own understanding, experience and thoughts. It is strongly recommended that you prepare the solution on your own. However, sample solutions have been provided for your reference.
1. There is a distressed man standing in the company of a few other men, who seem to be on board a ship. The man, definitely, doesn’t look happy. He seems to be deep in sorrow, because his neck is hung low and his hand slapped on his forehead.
2. The bird hanging around his neck might symbolize the memory of his committing a terrible error.
3. c. Something that is with you all the time as a reminder that you have done something wrong.
4. They are large oceanic bird who have long narrow wings and are noted for a powerful gliding flight.