Q53. Consider the following statements related to ports in India.
1. Kandla is a sea port situated at the head of the Gulf of Kutch in Gujarat State.
2. Paradip has been especially developed to export iron ore to Middle East.
3. Haldia is a riverine port on the bank of river Hugli.
Which of the above statement(s) is/are correct?
(c) Only 1 and 3
1. Paradip (Odisha) – It is especially developed to export iron ore to Japan.
2. Kandla– It is a sea port situated at the head of the Gulf of Kuchh in Gujarat State. It was the first port to be developed after independence. It has a free trade zone. It is a Tidal Port.
3. Haldia is a riverine port on the bank of river Hugli. Its main purpose is to reduce congestion on Kolkata port.
4. Kolkata Port - Being a riverine port it also suffers from many drawbacks like – silting, sandy bars and islands have formed at several places, river bends at several places and depth is also declining gradually.
5. Chennai – It is the oldest artificial harbor in India.
6. Ennore – It has been recently developed to reduce load on Chennai port.