Integers are the set of whole numbers and their opposites. The number line is used to represent integers.
1. The number line goes on forever in both directions. This is indicated by the arrows.
2. Whole numbers greater than zero are calledpositive integers. These numbers are to the right of zero on the number line.
3. Whole numbers less than zero are callednegative integers. These numbers are to the left of zero on the number line.
4. The integer zero is neutral. It is neither positive nor negative.
5. The sign of an integer is either positive (+) or negative (-), except zero, which has no sign.
6. Two integers are opposites if they are each the same distance away from zero but on opposite sides of the number line. One will have a positive sign, the other a negative sign. In the number line above,+3 and-3 are labeled as opposites.