Robert H. Whittaker in 1969 has classified the living organisms into five kingdoms.
The 5 kingdoms are as follows:1.Kingdom Monera includes prokaryotic bacteria and blue green algae.
2. Kingdom Protista includes unicellular Eukaryotic organisms like protozoans fungi and algae.
3. Kingdom Plantae includes multicellular green plants and advanced algae
4. Kingdom Fungi includes multinucleate higher fungi.
5. Kingdom Animalia includes multicellular animals.
The criteria used for the classification of organisms as proposed by whittaker are as follows :
1.The prokaryotic vs Eukaryotic structure of cells.
2. The three different modes of Nutrition : photosynthesis for plants, absorption from the environment (fungi) and ingestion (animals).
3. The Unicellular vs multicellular or multinucleate organisation..