The chemical substance X used for whitewashing is Calcium oxide, also known as quicklime or burnt lime or lime.
Calcium oxide is an alkaline earth flux with the chemical formula CaO.
Applications of calcium oxide
- It is extensively used for medicinal purposes and insecticides.
- It finds its application in the manufacturing of cement, paper, and high-grade steel.
- Lime is used as a reagent in laboratories for dehydration, precipitation reaction, etc.
- It is the cheapest alkali available which is an important ingredient in the manufacturing of caustic soda.
- Calcium is essential to animal life as the constituent of bones, shells, and teeth. The most common of the calcium compounds are calcium carbonate which the potter uses as a source of calcium oxide for glazes.