In five kingdom classification all prokaryotes, that is, unicellular organisms without a well-defined nucleus are grouped under Monera.
- The Monerans are unicellular organisms.
- They contain 70S ribosomes.
- The DNA is naked and is not bound by a nuclear membrane.
- It lacks organelles like mitochondria, lysosomes, plastids, Golgi bodies, endoplasmic reticulum, centrosome, etc.
- They reproduce asexually by binary fission or budding.
- The cell wall is rigid and made up of peptidoglycan.
- Flagellum serves as the locomotory organ.