In India, the National Consumers Day is observed on 24th December, every year.
- The Consumer Protection Act of 1986 was enacted in the Parliament of India on 24th December.
- There is a consumer redressal court in India due to the proactive efforts of consumers in India to tackle the malpractices that were taking place across the country.
- There has been some progress in the consumer movement in India, in terms of the number of organised groups and their activities.
- Currently, in India, there are more than 700 consumer groups.
- Out of these, only around 20 to 25 groups are well recognised and well organised for their work.
- There is more scope for consumers to realise their importance and role.
- Only with the active involvement of consumers, the effectiveness of the consumer movement will increase.
- For the consumer movement to be successful, participation, voluntary struggle, efforts and involvement of all the consumers is essential.