The process in which food id consumed by the organisms and the nutrients are absorbed by the body and used in the functioning of the body is called nutrition.
The five steps which occur in the process of nutrition in animals are Ingestion, digestion, absorption, assimilation, and egestion.
- Ingestion is the process the food is taken inside through mouth and broken down by teeth and initial digestion takes place in the mouth by saliva.
- Digestion is the process in which food is digested by using few enzymes and is used by the cells for producing energy.
- Absorption is the process in which cells use the energy from the digested food and helps in building tissues in our body.
- Assimilation is the process in which digested food moves into the cells of the body.
- Egestion is the process in which undigested food is removed out from the body through excretion.