A government that is run by the people are called a democracy. In a democracy, every single citizen has the right to cast his vote after the citizen turns 18 in how the government is to be run, thus differentiating it from a monarchy or dictatorship. In a dictatorship, one person that is the king or dictator has all the power. Democracy is a government in which power and civic responsibility are exercised by all adult citizens, directly, or through their freely elected representatives.
Characteristics of Democracy
The Characteristics of democracy are listed below:
- Elected representative
- Civil liberties
- Independent judiciary
- Organised opposition party
- Rule of law
- Citizens in a democracy have not only rights but also the responsibility to participate in the political system
- Democratic societies are committed to the values of tolerance, cooperation, and compromise.
- It provides a method to resolve conflicts.
- Enhances dignity of each individuals.