A biological process in which the fusion of the male and the female gamete occurs is called fertilization.
Process of fertilization
- The sperms are released from the male reproductive organ called the penis.
- The sperm enters the female body through one of the parts of her reproductive organ called the vagina.
- Then the sperm travels through the fallopian tubes and meets the egg produced by the female organs.
- The process of fertilization takes place in fallopian tubes.
- The first step in the process of reproduction is the fusion of a sperm and an ovum.
- During fertilization, the nuclei of the sperm and the egg fuse to form a single nucleus. This results in the formation of a fertilized egg or zygote.
- The zygote is the beginning of a new individual.
- Fertilization results in the formation of a zygote which begins to develop into an embryo.