We need water for all our day-to-day activities. Each and every process is in connection to the water we use. Nowadays, we waste water too much. Water conservation is not being done properly. So water is clarified from the wastewater generated by various activities like washing, laundries and toilets. Wastewater is also known as sewage.
Clarified water from wastewater
This wastewater is treated and utilized by us. Let us know how this water is clarified from wastewater.
Given below are the steps involved in getting clarified water from wastewater
- Wastewater is collected and passed through bar screens where plastic bags, sticks, cans, napkins, etc. are removed. This water then enters a grit and a sand removal tank.
- The speed of the water is decreased so that the sand particles get settled at the bottom. After this, the water is allowed to settle in a large tank which is sloped towards the centre.
- Solid wastes are settled and removed by a scraper. This water is known as clarified water. Air is pumped in this water to help aerobic bacteria to grow.
- The bacteria consume the wastes by microbial action. These microbes settle down after several hours and the water at the top is removed.
- This water is discharged into rivers and oceans or is put to other uses.
Nature cleans it up further. Sometimes it may be necessary to disinfect water with chemicals like chlorine and ozone before releasing it into the distribution system.