- Collenchyma cells have thin primary walls with some areas of secondary thickening.
- Collenchyma provides extra mechanical and structural support, particularly in regions of new growth.
- It is in the form of oval, spherical or polygonal cells.
- It provides mechanical support to the young growing parts of the plant.
- Elongated cells are present. Less space is present between the cells.
- Sclerenchyma cells have thick lignified secondary walls and often die when mature.
- It is in the form of sclereids and fibres.
- It gives mechanical support to the plant organs.
- It is found in wooden part or hard stem of the plant.
- The cell wall is made up of lignin.
- Sclerenchyma cells provide mechanical support to the plant as well as transportation of water and nutrients to the plants.