The cell membrane is also known as the plasma membrane. It is the outermost covering of animal cells. It is a semi-permeable membrane composed of lipids and proteins. Based on the existence of membrane-protein interactions, membrane proteins can be divided into two categories: integral (intrinsic) and peripheral (extrinsic). Both forms of membrane proteins are found in bio-membranes.
- Intrinsic protein includes those proteins that are embedded within the plasma membrane.
- Intrinsic protein are embedded in the plasma membrane partially or completely.
- They are more hydrophobic.
- They are present in the surface of the plasma membrane
- They are more hydrophilic and less hydrophobic