- The animal species found in a particular period or region is known as Fauna.
- The plant species found in a particular period or region is known as Flora.
Flora in India
- Across the world, India is one among the 12 mega biodiversity countries.
- In plant diversity, India occupies 4th place in Asia and 10th place in the world. India has 47,000 different plant species.
- Out of the total number of flowering plants across the globe, India is home to 6 percent of the world’s flowering plants, India has around 15,000 flowering plants.
Fauna in India
- There are around 90,000 animal species in India.
- Between 5% to 8% of the world’s mammals, reptiles, and amphibians are found in India.
- Nearly 12% of the world’s fish species is found in India. There are 2,546 species of fish in India.
- India has around 2,000 species of birds.
- Around 13% of the world’s bird species are found in India.