Yes, it is better to use compost instead of chemical fertilizers.
It is how farm waste material like livestock excreta, vegetable waste, domestic waste are decomposed in pits. It is an organic matter derived from solid animal wastes, used to improve the soil quality and increase the yield of healthy crops. It is a natural form of fertilizer and is cost-effective. The livestock manure is rich in nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium.
Fertilizers are chemical substances supplied to the crops to increase their productivity. The fertilizers contain the essential nutrients required by the plants, including nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus. They enhance the water retention capacity of the soil and also increase its fertility.
Usage of compost over fertiliser
It is better to use compost than fertiliser due to the following reasons
- Compost is prepared from plant and animal wastes. Therefore, it easily gets decomposed.
- It does not add any harmful chemicals to the soil, whereas an excessive use of chemical fertilizers causes soil and water pollution.
- It is easy to prepare compost.
- Compost is environment friendly as it does not cause any health issues in humans and animals.
- Compost increases soil fertility
- Compost is biodegradable