DNA — Deoxyribonucleic acid
DNA is the inherited material found in every living creature. It comprises two polynucleotide chains, which are coiled around each other to form a double helix.
In eukaryotes, DNA occurs as linear chromosomes and in prokaryotes, DNA occurs as circular chromosomes.
Functions of DNA:
- All the information of a cell is stored in DNA.
- DNA carries genetic instructions for development.
- DNA is involved in Mutations, Transcription, Replication process, Transcription, etc.
- DNA controls cell metabolism along with the differentiation and development of an organism.
- DNA is an essential component required for transferring genes from parents to offspring.
Structure of DNA
Explore more such questions and answers at BYJU’S.