A disease is a condition that deteriorates the normal functioning of the cells, tissues, and organs. Diseases can be of two types
- Infectious diseases
- Non-infectious diseases
In today’s world, every disease has a treatment and each treatment has its own set of rules and principles.
Reduce the effect of the disease
- Medicines are given to reduce the pain or bring down the fever. In other words, symptomatical treatment may help to reduce the impact of a disease, but it might not outright cure it.
- Disease or illness like the common cold does not have a cure, hence, treating symptoms symptomatically will alleviate the discomfort or illness to an extent.
- Bed rest is recommended so that the body gets some rest. Maintaining personal hygiene also reduces the effect of the disease.
- Nevertheless, even this does not completely kill the pathogen but only subsides the effect of the disease. Using sterilized products and eating healthy food also prevents the spread of the ailment.
Kill the cause of the disease
- Employment of medicines that can kill pathogens. Each microbe undergoes some specific biochemical life process that helps them to survive.
- The intake of particular drugs that block these biochemical processes can help in killing the microorganism causing the disease. Antibiotics serve the purpose.
- The production of anti-viral drugs is more complex than producing anti-bacterial drugs. This is because the virus enters the body of the host and survives on its cellular machinery.
- Notwithstanding this, the researchers have achieved in manufacturing the anti-viral drugs that have subsided the effects of HIV infection.