Fossils are preserved remains of living organisms from the remote past. Fossil mainly preserves only a portion of the dead organism (e.g., skeleton, bone, teeth etc..).
Fossil provides us evidence about
- The organisms that lived long ago, such as the time period they lived, their structure etc.
- Evolutionary development of species, i.e., line of their development.
- Connecting links between two groups. For example, feathers present in some dinosaurs means that birds are very closely related to reptiles.
- Which organisms evolved earlier and which later.
- Development of complex body designs from the simple body designs.